Cheesy Hamburger Rice Casserole is an easy and delicious one-pan meal that’s perfect for the whole family. Made with ground beef, onions, rice, and savory seasonings and topped with ooey, gooey melted cheese.
When you’re on the hunt for an easy dinner solution, one-pan meals are your go-to. Not only do they taste fantastic, but clean-up is simpler than ever!
This hamburger rice casserole is exactly that! It starts with onions and ground beef, toss in some beef broth, rice, and seasonings, then sprinkle on the cheddar cheese. Dinner accomplished!
Substitutions and Variations
- Protein: Use ground chicken or ground turkey in place of ground beef.
- Cheese: We love sharp cheddar cheese on this casserole, but pepper jack, colby jack, mozzarella, or Monterey jack cheese make great options!
- Veggies: Stir in some canned or frozen (thawed) vegetables for a more filling meal. Mushrooms, green beans, peas, corn, or carrots are easy mix-ins.
- Garnish: Top with a dollop of sour cream, fresh parsley, or a spoonful of pico de gallo.
- Seasoning: Add a packet of taco seasoning instead of using garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, and chili powder.
- Make Burritos: Use this ground beef casserole as filling for burritos!
This ground beef casserole is so simple to make that you only need 1 piece of kitchen equipment plus measuring cups and spoons. No casserole dish or baking dish required!
Here are some ideas (Amazon affiliate links included):
Refrigerate: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze: This cheesy ground beef casserole freezes well! Cook it as written and let it cool completely. Transfer to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 2 months.
Thaw: Place ground beef and rice casserole in the refrigerator to thaw completely before reheating.
Reheat: To reheat, microwave a single serving on half power until warmed through, or place a larger portion in a skillet over low heat. Add a little broth as needed to keep the casserole from drying out.
You can also reheat this casserole in the oven at 350°F until it reaches the desired temperature.
- Use long-grain white rice, Jasmine rice, or basmati rice. Minute rice does not work well in this recipe. Depending on what type of rice you use, the cook time may vary slightly.
- Make sure to completely cook the ground beef before adding the other ingredients.
- If you want more spice, add more chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, or your favorite hot sauce!
- When cooking rice in a casserole, make sure that there is enough liquid to cover all of the ingredients as well as an extra ½ cup to 1 cup of broth – this will ensure that your rice cooks properly without burning or sticking to the pan!
- Know how strong the chili powder is before adding it to the ground beef. Some brands of chili powder have more heat than others, so the amount may need to be adjusted to meet your desired heat level.
Frequently Asked Questions
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 pound ground beef, (We used 93/7.)
- ½ cup white onion, finely chopped
- 2 ¼ cups low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup long grain white rice, uncooked (long grain, jasmine, or basmati)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil, ground beef, and onions. Cook the ground beef until no pinks remain. Drain excess grease, and return to the pan.1 tablespoon cooking oil1 pound ground beef½ cup white onion
- Stir in the broth, rice, tomato paste, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, and pepper. Bring the ingredients to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer.2 ¼ cups low-sodium beef broth½ cup long grain white rice¼ cup tomato paste1 teaspoon onion powder1 teaspoon garlic powder1 teaspoon chili powder½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground cumin¼ teaspoon dried oregano¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook at a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and cooked to the desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, uncover, and top with shredded cheese. Return the lid and allow the residual heat to melt the cheese.1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Serve warm with your favorite side dish. See the post for tips, FAQs, and storage options.