Broccoli Rice Casserole is the perfect comfort dish for family get togethers or a cozy winter night by the fireplace. Easy to prepare, this dish is great for a Meatless Monday dinner, or as a side dish with a baked ham or juicy, roasted chicken. Packed with broccoli, savory onions, chopped celery, tender rice, and of course a creamy, cheesy base, this broccoli rice casserole will keep you hearty by the hearth all winter long.
Broccoli Rice Casserole
Broccoli Rice Casserole is a classic! Make it as a side dish for a potluck or serve it for an easy weeknight meal. Even the pickiest of eaters won’t mind the broccoli with how much flavor (and cheese) is packed into this casserole.
Dress is up with even more of your favorite veggies and toppings or keep it as is. Either way, this dish is sure to delight!
We are huge fans of just about anything broccoli from Oven Roasted Broccoli and Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli to Broccoli Cheese Pasta Bake and Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole. We pretty much eat broccoli any way we can get it!
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine the thawed broccoli and cooked rice in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish, making sure to spread in an even layer.
- Now, heat a large skillet or saucepan over low-medium heat. Add the butter, diced onions, and chopped celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Typically about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the condensed cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the soup mixture over the broccoli and rice mixture. Gently stir to combine. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Cover the dish and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve broccoli rice casserole hot as a side dish, or the main course, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Try topping your broccoli rice casserole with breadcrumbs, pimento olive pieces, or chunks of freshly roasted garlic to add even more flavor and texture to the dish!
- Drizzle sriracha on top for spice.
- Add in a protein like shredded chicken, ground beef, or chunks of baked ham. Our chicken broccoli rice casserole is made in one dish, uses uncooked rice, and has a slightly different list of ingredients but is just as tasty.
- Cheese Whiz can be substituted in place of the cheddar cheese soup. Adjust the amount of milk used to reach your desired consistency. Typically less milk is needed when using cheese whiz. Velveeta can also be used.
- Peppers are a great additional veggie to add in. Try using red peppers for extra color in your casserole.
- Reduce the amount of shredded cheese or omit it altogether.
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store leftover broccoli rice casserole in an airtight container (or the baking dish it was baked in if it has a lid for easy cleanup and storage) in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: This recipe is perfect for freezing and will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Reheating: The best way to reheat this recipe is to cover the dish with aluminum foil and heat in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes. An additional sprinkling of cheese doesn’t hurt either!
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 30 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained; 3 (10 ounce) packages
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ large onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 10 ¾ ounces cream of chicken soup, 1 can
- 10 ½ ounces condensed cheddar cheese soup, 1 can
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, (*See Note)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded off the block, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the thawed broccoli and cooked rice. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and spread in an even layer.30 ounces frozen chopped broccoli3 cups white rice
- Heat a large skillet or saucepan over low-medium heat. Add the butter, onions, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5-6 minutes.2 tablespoons unsalted butter½ large onion½ cup celery
- Stir in the condensed cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook until the mixture is smooth and well combined.10 ¾ ounces cream of chicken soup10 ½ ounces condensed cheddar cheese soup1 cup whole milk½ teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour the soup mixture over the broccoli and rice, and gently stir to combine. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese if using.1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Cover, and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot as a side dish. See post for storage options.