*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
Looking for a simple side dish? Then check out our instant pot funeral potatoes. They combine everyone’s two favorite ingredients, potatoes and cheese!
Okay, let me start off by saying I had no idea this hash brown casserole had anything to do with funerals. It wasn’t until Kim and I were looking for a name for this posting that we discovered that funeral potatoes are the name of potato dishes served at, well, funerals.
Once we noticed the search results, it seemed like the right term to use, so here we are. With that being, said, I still feel like our recipe is basically a hash brown casserole; however, for the sake of SEO, we’ll just call them funeral potatoes.
Now, I know funeral potatoes are usually topped with corn flakes or potato chips. However, we don’t like either of those as a topping, so we used bread crumbs. When I get to the topping instructions, feel free to use whatever you want to mix with the butter.
We totally understand that the name “funeral potatoes” may be a turnoff. If that’s the case, maybe you’ll like our Instant Pot Penne with Vodka Sauce recipe, Instant Pot Supreme Pizza Pasta, or Instant Pot Corn Chowder with Bacon instead. Now let’s get started.
How to Make Instant Pot Funeral Potatoes:
For this recipe you will need an instant pot and a steamer basket, so please make sure you have both of these kitchen tools before making the dish. We have an affiliate link for the steamer basket below, just above the recipe card.
- First, set your instant pot to saute and add the unsalted butter. If you don’t have an Instant Pot branded device then use whatever setting allows you to saute inside your pressure cooker.
- Next, add the onions and cook them until they are soft. It usually only takes about 2-3 minutes. Go ahead and add the garlic and let everything saute for another 30 seconds. Don’t let the garlic over cook or it will become bitter.
- Now, turn off the instant pot and add all of your seasonings, the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Then, pour in the chicken broth and give the bottom of the pot a quick scrape to de-glaze the pan. If nothing stuck to the bottom, that’s okay, go ahead and give all the ingredients a quick stir before moving on to the next step.
- After that, place the steamer basket into the instant pot and pour in the frozen hash browns. The steamer basket should be setting above the liquid. Put the lid on, seal the cooker, and set it on Manual/Pressure cook for one minute. Once the dish is done do a quick release.
- After the pressure has fully released, pour the hash browns into the instant pot with the onions, garlic, and chicken stock. Slowly stir the sour cream and cheese into the hash brown mixture.
- Last, transfer the funeral potatoes into an 8-inch baking or casserole dish and set it aside. If you don’t have an 8-inch dish, then use 8×8 or 9×9-inch baking dish. Everything should fit just fine.
Topping and Serve:
- First, preheat your oven on the Broil setting. You only need to brown the topping, so the baking dish won’t be in the oven for long.
- Next, melt the butter and mix it with bread crumbs. Try using a fork or even your fingers to properly combine the butter and bread crumbs.
- Last, sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the funeral potatoes and then bake them in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. If your oven doesn’t cook evenly you may need to rotate the dish as it browns. Just make sure not to leave it unattended at this point because the topping can easily burn. Serve as a side dish or just eat them as a meal.
The steamer basket we used for our Funeral Potatoes can be found here on Amazon.
Need other potato recipes? Then take a look at our Parmesan Mashed Potatoes or our Smashed Rosemary Potatoes with Rosemary Lemon Butter!
If you like this Instant Pot cheesy potatoes recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Instant Pot Funeral Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Small White Onion (chopped)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 26 Ounces Hash Browns (1 large bag, shredded, frozen)
- 8 Ounces Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs (panko)
- First, set your instant pot to saute and add the unsalted butter.
- Next, add the onions and cook them until they are soft (about 2-3 minutes) and then add the garlic and let everything saute for another 30 seconds.
- Now, turn off the you instant pot and add your seasonings, the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Then, pour in the chicken broth and give the bottom of the pot a quick scrape de-glaze the pan.
- After that, place the steamer basket into the instant pot and pour in the frozen hash browns.
- Put the lid on, seal the cooker and set it on Manual/Pressure cook for one minute. Once the dish is done do a quick release.
- Afterwards, pour the hash browns into the instant pot with onions, garlic, and chicken stock.
- Add the sour cream and cheese to the hash brown mixture and stir everything together.
- Last, transfer the funeral potatoes to an 8-inch baking or casserole dish and set it aside.
Topping and Serve
- First, preheat your oven to the Broil setting.
- Next, melt the butter and mix it with bread crumbs.
- Last, sprinkle the bread crumbs over the funeral potatoes and bake them in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Serve as a side dish or just eat them as a meal.