Our Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes combine sweet and savory flavors to create an easy side dish that’s perfect for the holidays!
These Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a game-changer for your holiday meal prep. Imagine sweet, creamy potatoes, with a buttery texture, effortlessly prepared in your Instant Pot.
They're perfect if you're looking for a simple, yet flavorful side dish. The Instant Pot does all the hard work, pressure-cooking the sweet potatoes to perfection in record time.
This recipe is a delicious blend of sweet and savory, with a hint of spice that brings out the natural sweetness of the potatoes. Perfectly paired with your holiday turkey or ham, these mashed sweet potatoes elevate any meal to festive heights.
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
Our mashed sweet potato recipe is the best way to prepare sweet potatoes. They're soft, creamy, and perfectly cooked every time.
Scroll to the recipe card below for full instructions and ingredient amounts!
- Wash, dry and peel the sweet potatoes. Slice them in half lengthwise.
- Place the stainless steel liner (insert) into the pressure cooker. Pour in 1 cup of water, and add the trivet.
- Layer the sliced potatoes onto to the trivet, and close the lid. Seal the valve and set the timer for 12 minutes (high pressure setting/manual cook). Once the cooking time is up, allow for a 10 minute natural release.
- Carefully open the valve to release the rest of the steam. Remove the lid, trivet, and sweet potatoes. Drain any excess water.
- Return the sweet potato pieces to the stainless steel liner, and mash the sweet potatoes using a hand mixer or potato masher.
- Stir in the brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Serve warm!
Tips and Variations:
- Try substituting maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. It will add another layer of flavor to the dish.
- Instead of cutting the potatoes in half, dice them into 1-inch pieces.
- Make these potatoes savory by omitting the brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Use whole milk, unsalted butter, sour cream, ground black pepper and chives instead.
- Turn these regular potatoes into sweet potato casserole by adding a crunchy pecan streusel topping or mini marshmallows.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerator: Store leftover cooked sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating: Reheat in the microwave on half power until heated through.
Freezer: These potatoes freeze well! Mash them, but don't add any seasonings or butter. Transfer the cooled potatoes to a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. They stay fresh for about 2 months.
Can you make this recipe without a trivet?
Absolutely, you can make this recipe without a trivet! The trivet is primarily used to keep the sweet potatoes off the bottom of the pot and prevent them from potentially sticking and burning.
However, if you don't have one, simply place your sweet potatoes directly in the inner pot with the water. From there, you can drain water out of the pot or leave it in and mash it into the potatoes to reach the desired consistency.
Can you make these potatoes dairy-free or vegan?
Yes, you most certainly can! To make these potatoes dairy-free or vegan, simply replace the butter with vegan butter or olive oil.
If you add milk, substitute it with a non-dairy milk of your choice, such as almond milk, coconut milk, or even orange juice. And if you're using brown sugar, make sure it's a brand that vegan.
Can you use broth in place of water?
Yes, you certainly can use broth in place of water! Broth can add an extra layer of flavor to your Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes, making them even more savory and delicious.
However, I prefer using water for this recipe. It allows the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes to shine without any additional competing flavors. But, as always, cooking is about personal preference, so feel free to experiment and find out what suits your tastes best.
What are some additional mix-ins?
To add more flavor and texture to your Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes, you can consider a variety of flavorful mix-ins. For a touch of indulgence, heavy cream can add a rich, velvety texture.
If you prefer some added crunch, pecans or walnuts could be the perfect addition. They not only provide a delightful contrast in texture but also contribute an earthy flavor that complements the sweetness of the potatoes.
For a savory twist, try mixing in some roasted garlic or caramelized onions. And if you're a fan of heat, a bit of chipotle pepper or smoked paprika could give your mashed sweet potatoes a subtle kick.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise or diced
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place a trivet and 1 cup of water into the stainless steel liner of the Instant Pot. Layer the sweet potatoes on top of the trivet.1 cup water2 pounds sweet potatoes
- Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 12 minutes (14 minutes if the sweet potatoes pieces are large).
- After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Use a spoon to remove the potatoes, then take out the trivet, and drain the water. Return the potatoes to the stainless steel liner. Use a potato masher or a hand mixer to mash the potatoes.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.¼ cup light brown sugar3 tablespoons unsalted butter1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract½ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Serve hot with extra butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar for garnish.
- Scroll up and see the post for tips, variations, FAQs, and storage options.