Our Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes combine sweet and savory flavors to create a tasty side dish that’s perfect for the holidays!
We’re over halfway through September, do you know what that means? Fall recipes will be in full swing.
With that in mind, Kim and I are sharing her Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes recipe. It’s a simple, no-fail recipe that combines the flavors of Fall into a lightly sweetened and creamy side dish.
You’ll need a few Fall spices and ingredients, like brown sugar, vanilla, and ground cinnamon. Using a pressure cooker ensures the potatoes are evenly cooked and not over boiled. So, shall we get started?
How to make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
First, start by rinsing, drying, and peeling the sweet taters. After that, cut them into equal-sized slices or cubes.
Next, place the stainless steel liner into the pot. Also, place a trivet into the liner. Pour in 1 cup of water.
Now, layer the potatoes onto to the trivet. Check and make sure the rubber seal is in place on the lid and close the machine.
Seal the valve and set the timer for 12 minutes (high pressure/manual cook). Then, once the timer goes off, allow for a 10 minute natural release.
Afterward, carefully open the valve to release the rest of the steam. Open the lid, remove the sweet potatoes, take out the trivet, and drain the water.
Once the liner is empty, return the potatoes to the liner. Mash the taters (using a masher or fork).
Last, stir in the brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. That’s it, the Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy the side dish and wish you all the best 🙂
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potato Tips:
- If you don’t have a trivet, you can dump the potatoes into the water. However, we’ve never tried this before, so we cannot guarantee the potatoes won’t stick and burn.
- Peeling the potatoes is optional. If you’re like me, then you enjoy potato skins, so feel free to leave them intact if you wish.
- Try substituting maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. It will add another layer of flavor to the dish.
Other Instant Pot side dish recipes you may enjoy:
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Baby Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes
- Pressure Cooker Beets
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet PotatoesPrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place a trivet and 1 cup of water into the stainless steel liner of the Instant Pot. Layer the sweet potatoes on top of the trivet.1 cup water2 pounds sweet potatoes
- Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 12 minutes (14 minutes if the sweet potatoes pieces are large). After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Use a spoon to remove the potatoes, then take out the trivet, and drain the water. Return the potatoes to the stainless steel liner. Use a potato masher or a hand mixer to mash the potatoes.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.¼ cup light brown sugar3 tablespoons unsalted butter1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Serve hot with extra butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar for garnish. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.