Have you ever wanted to make minute or instant brown rice in a pressure cooker? Well, now you can with our Instant Pot minute brown rice recipe!
There are some main dishes that need brown rice. Usually, that variety of rice takes a long time to cook.
Fortunately, there are boxed versions of minute brown rice. Kim and I wanted to see if we could make instant brown rice in a pressure cooker.
Turns out you can in about 20 minutes. Now, you might be wondering why not make it on the stove?
I know I asked Kim the same question.
She reminded me there are times when the stove-top is full or you don’t feel like heating up your whole kitchen just to make some rice.
Also, some people use their Instant Pot for tailgating or camping and don’t have access to a stove.
People have even made our pressure cooker chicken broccoli rice in their RV. So, it makes sense to have a handy recipe like this one on-hand.
As you probably figured, you only need a pressure cooker and spoon to make this brown rice in an Instant Pot.
How to make pressure cooker instant rice?
First, just like our Instant Pot quinoa recipe, place the stainless steel liner into the machine. Next, add 2 cups of minute brown rice to the liner.
Next, pour in 2 cups of water and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to flavor the brown rice.
- If you have an issue with salt, you can always leave it out or flavor the rice with another spice blend like Italian seasoning or lemon pepper.
At this point, make sure the rubber seal is in place (in the lid) and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Lock it into place.
After that, seal the valve and press the manual or high pressure cook button. Set the cook time for 5 minutes.
Then, once the timer goes off, use a kitchen towel to carefully open the valve for a quick release.
Last, open the lid and use your spoon (or fork) to fluff the rice. That’s it, your pressure cooker brown rice recipe is done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy the side dish and we wish you all the best 🙂
- Our recipe for brown rice in the Instant Pot was developed for a 1:1 ratio of liquid to rice for a 6-quart pressure cooker. If your machine’s volume differs, then check your owner’s manual for the proper amount of liquid and rice.
- To rinse or not to rinse the rice. That is the question, yes? Well, for instant rice, we don’t recommend rinsing it because minute rice has been modified to absorb liquid as soon as it hit the grain.
- Don’t want use Instant Rice, then checkout this recipe for brown rice in a pressure cooker on our sister-site More Than Meat and Potatoes.
What can I add to brown rice for flavor?
You can flavor brown rice with all sorts of spices like chili powder, onion and garlic powders, lemon or lime juice, cumin powder, ginger powder, soy sauce or anything else you desire!
Don’t forget to check out our Instant Pot Minute Brown Rice web story!
Instant Pot Minute Brown Rice RecipePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups Instant Brown Rice (unrinsed)
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- Place rice, water, and salt into the stainless-steel liner of the pressure cooker.
- Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing,” and press the manual (pressure cook) button. Adjust the time to 5 minutes. After the timer beeps, open the valve to complete a quick pressure release.
- Carefully open the lid, and use a fork to fluff the rice. Serve hot.