*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
A yummy chicken broccoli rice recipe made in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Tender chicken served with cheesy rice, how can you go wrong with that?
Seriously, how can you go wrong when you combine shredded chicken breast with creamy, cheesy rice? Add in the broccoli florets and you have yourself a quick meal that’s sure to satisfy your tummy.
Kim used her Instant Pot to create this chicken broccoli rice dish and I have to say, it was delicious! In my opinion, it’s one of the best Instant Pot dishes she’s ever made. That’s saying something, because I loved the easy beef stroganoff as well.
Now, compared to other recipes, this one does take a little bit longer. It comes in just under fifty (50) minutes. However, I feel it’s worth the extra effort and time. As always, I’ve added a few tips below should you need them. So, without further adieu, let’s get started.
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Instructions:
First, begin by prepping all your ingredients. Dice the onions, measure out the broth, etc. you get the idea. Once all that is out of the way, put the liner into the pressure cooker and toss in the onions, garlic, thyme (if using), and rice.
Next, pour in the broth, and give everything a quick stir. You want to make sure there’s no rice sticking to the bottom of the liner.
After that, lay the chicken tenders inside the pot. Make sure they go on top. See the picture below as a reference.
Then, close the machine, seal the valve, and set it to pressure cook (manual/high pressure) for eight (8) minutes. When the timer goes off, let the Instant Pot complete a ten (10) minute natural release. Afterward, open the valve so the rest of the steam can exit the machine.
Remove the lid and take out the chicken. Shred it and place it back into the cooker. Go ahead and stir in the broccoli florets and the milk.
Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the entire dish. Again, take a look at the photos above and below for guidance.
Last, place the lid back on the pressure cooker, but don’t seal the valve. Also, make sure the appliance is set to, “keep warm.” Let everything sit for about five (5) to ten (10) minutes. This time will allow the broccoli to cook.
The amount of time you wait will determine the doneness of the vegetable. For softer broccoli, leave it closed for the full ten (10) minutes. Once the time has passed, remove the lid and serve the dish.
That’s it, your pressure cooker chicken broccoli rice recipe is finished. Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Pressure Cooker Chicken Broccoli Rice Tips:
It’s important to note that we used chicken tenders and not full sized chicken breasts. The reason we chose tenders was due to the cook time. You see, larger pieces of meat can take longer to cook. Which, in turn, would have overcooked the rice and veggies. Something to keep in mind.
Some pressure cooker or Instant Pot models are known to burn rice. If you happen own one of these varieties, then consider adding an additional one-fourth (1/4) to one-half (1/2) of cup of chicken broth before you seal the machine to cook. Oh, the milk in the recipe is optional. It’s only purpose is to make the dish creamier.
Try to cut your broccoli florets into small pieces so that they cook evenly and quickly. Especially, since you’re not pressure cooking them with the rest of the meal.
Equipment Needed for Pressure Cooker Broccoli Chicken Rice
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes?
- One Minute Pressure Cooker Rice with Vegetables
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
If you liked our pressure cooker chicken broccoli rice recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find on my Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram by searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Pressure Cooker Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 1 Cup White Onion (diced)
- 3 Tablespoons Garlic (3-4 cloves, minced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme (optional)
- 1/2 Lb. Chicken Tenders (breasts)
- 1 Cup White Rice (long grain, uncooked, unrinsed)
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Raw Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 Cup Milk (optional)
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Place the onion, garlic, thyme, and rice into the liner of the Instant Pot. Next add the chicken broth. Stir to combine, making sure all the rice is covered by broth.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the broth and rice.
- Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and use the manual (pressure cook) button to adjust the time to 8 minutes.
- After the time is up, allow a 10 minute natural pressure release before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure. Open the lid and remove the chicken to cut into chunks or shred.
- Add the chicken back in and stir in the broccoli florets, along with the milk (if using). Place the shredded cheese on top. Return the lid to the Instant Pot (make sure the valve is on venting and the Instant Pot is on Keep Warm). Leave the lid on for 5-10 minutes depending on how soft you like the broccoli. Remove the lid and serve warm.