Irish Coffee Pie is a fun and easy dessert perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or whenever you’re feeling lucky! Rich, creamy, Irish coffee flavored filling in a graham cracker crust topped with whipped cream and cocoa powder come together to create an indulgent treat.
Irish Coffee Pie
Who needs a pot of gold when Irish Coffee Pie tastes so good? Rich, decadent, indulgent, this pie is as delicious as it is simple to make. Marshmallows, coffee, whipped topping, and of course a good whiskey come together to create the filling.
Pile it onto a pre baked graham cracker crust and top with your favorite whipped cream and cocoa powder. Serve cold and with a steaming mug of Irish coffee and you’ve got the perfect combination.
How to Make Irish Coffee Pie
- In a shallow bowl or baking dish, add in cold water and ice. Place in your freezer until ready to use.
- Combine the espresso powder and half and half in a small bowl. Stir until the espresso powder has fully dissolved.
- Over low heat, add marshmallows and the half and half/espresso mixture to a medium saucepan. Stir constantly for about 10 minutes until the marshmallows have melted. Remove the ice bath from the freezer and place the saucepan into the ice bath.
- Continue stirring the melted marshmallow mixture until it cools to room temperature. Pour in the whiskey and stir to combine. Remove the mixture from the ice bath.
- Fold in the whipped topping until well combined with the marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust, cover, and refrigerate for about 4 hours (or overnight). Top with whipped cream swirls and a light dusting of cocoa powder and serve nice and cold. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Try our 3 Ingredient Irish Cream Flavored Whipped Cream to top off this decadent pie.
- If you’d prefer an alcohol free pie, you can substitute the whiskey for a teaspoon of vanilla or rum extract.
- While the unsweetened cocoa powder balances the sweetness of the pie, you could also use chocolate shavings or a drizzle of butterscotch.
- If you don’t have espresso powder but you do have instant coffee, you can use tha to get a similar flavor. Just make sure the instant coffee dissolves completely in the liquid so you don’t end up with any grit in the filling.
- A chocolate pie crust would also taste amazing!
- Make your own half and half by combining ¼ cup of whole milk and ¼ cup of heavy cream.
Refrigerator: Store any leftover pie in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
Freezer: This Irish Coffee Pie is also great for freezing, it will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- Water, cold
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 ½ teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 5 cups large marshmallows, about 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed (1 container from the freezer section)
- 9 inch graham cracker crust
- whipped cream, optional topping
- unsweetened cocoa powder, optional topping
- Add cold water and ice to a large, shallow bowl or baking dish. Transfer to the freezer until ready to use.Waterice
- In a small bowl, combine the half and half and espresso until the espresso powder has dissolved.½ cup half and half2 ½ teaspoons instant espresso powder
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, add the marshmallows and half and half mixture. Stir constantly until the marshmallows have melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and remove the ice bath from the freezer.5 cups large marshmallows
- Place the saucepan into the ice bath, and continue stirring the melted marshmallow mixture until it has cooled to room temperature. Pour in the whiskey, and stir until well combined. Remove the saucepan from the ice bath.1 tablespoon whiskey
- Add the whipped topping to the marshmallow mixture, and carefully fold it in until well combined.8 ounces whipped topping
- Transfer the filling to the graham cracker crust, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Decorate the top of the pie with whipped cream swirls and a dusting of cocoa powder. Serve cold.9 inch graham cracker crustwhipped creamunsweetened cocoa powder
- See post for storage options.