These Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies are simple to make and require only a few basic ingredients along with a box of strawberry cake mix. Best of all, they are stuffed with a delicious cream cheese filling! Perfect for a decadent cookie dessert any time of the year.
Cookies come in a all shapes and sizes, and these strawberry cookies are no different. Soft on the outside and filled with sweet cream cheese on the inside, these cookies will not disappoint. If you’re looking for more cookie ideas, check out our Monster Cookies, Chocolate Mint Cookies, or No Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies.
Cake Mix Cookies:
Did you know that you can make cookies from a box of cake mix? Cake mix cookies are cookies that are made using a cake mix as the base. The result is a soft and chewy cookie that is bursting with flavor and has a great texture with no need to measure out any dry pantry ingredients!
You can use any flavor cake mix to make these cookies, even Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies, Triple Chocolate Fudge or Funfetti. For this recipe, we use a box of strawberry cake mix and stuff the centers with a simple cream cheese filling.
How To Make Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies With Cream Cheese Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350℉, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the cold cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until combined and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use an electric mixer or a stand mixer to combine the cake mix, flour, melted butter, and eggs until just combined. Do not overmix. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to firm up the cookie dough.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the dough. Flatten each dough ball into a disc about the size of the palm of your hand. Place each portion on the prepared parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In each disc, place 1-2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling in the center. Bring the dough up around the filling, and roll it briefly in your hand to seal it together. Roll the dough balls in powdered sugar to generously coat.
- Arrange the dough balls about 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until cookies appear cracked and dry on the top, and just starting to brown on the bottom.
- After removing the cookies from the oven, cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. The cookies can be served chilled or at room temperature.
- When mixing the wet and dry ingredients, make sure you don’t overwork the cookie dough as this will make the cookies tough.
- You do not need to roll the cookies in powdered sugar, but if you are, be generous with the powdered sugar coating as it provides a lovely sweetness to these cookies.
- This recipe doubles well for a large gathering. If doubling the recipe just use 8 ounces cream cheese and ¾ cup powdered sugar.
- Chilling the dough before rolling out is not mandatory, but it will make forming the cookies easier as the batter is soft and slightly sticky.
- Do not skip chilling the filling as this will help it stay together much better when portioning into each cookie.
- You can use ½ cup of neutral cooking oil such as vegetable or canola oil instead of the butter if desired.
- For an additional burst of strawberry flavor, add in ½ teaspoon of strawberry extract to the cream cheese filling.
- If you want a funfetti stuffed cookie, mix in some sprinkles to the cream cheese filling.
- These cookies can also be made without the cream cheese filling. Simply omit the cream cheese filling and bake as written.
- Add white chocolate chips to the top before baking for a pretty finish and extra sweet and creamy flavor.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: Store baked cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week as they do contain dairy from the cream cheese.
Freezing: To freeze baked cookies, place them in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to three months. Thaw frozen cookies at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the fridge overnight before serving.
To freeze unbaked: You can also freeze cookie dough balls (without the cream cheese filling) by placing them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freezing for about an hour, or until solid. Transfer frozen dough balls to a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to three months. When ready to bake, place frozen dough balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake as directed, adding an extra minute or two to the bake time.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cold and cubed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350℉, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a hand mixer, mix the cold cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cake mix, flour, melted butter, and eggs until just combined. Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the dough. Flatten each dough ball into a disc about the size of the palm of your hand. Place it on the parchment paper and put 1-2 teaspoons of cream cheese filling in the center.
- Bring the dough up around the filling, and roll it briefly in your hand to seal it together. Roll the dough balls in powdered sugar to generously coat.
- Arrange the dough balls about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until cookies appear cracked and dry on the top, and just starting to brown on the bottom.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 2 cookies. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Photos courtesy of Butter Salt Sugar Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.