A kid-friendly, soft chocolate chip cookies that are easy to make and create tender, chewy cookies every time! From oven to table in less than hour.
These chocolate chip cookies are our go-to recipe and have been for years. They are incredibly easy to make, and the cookies bake up soft and chewy every, single time.
Best of all, they stay that way for days. What’s the secret you ask? Well, I’m going to add a section to share some the ways we make simple soft cookies.
What’s the secret to soft chocolate chip cookies?
I’m not a food scientist, so I’m not going to try and accurately explain the chemistry behind the ingredients and techniques.
However, there are two secrets that I’m aware of to create super soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies every time.
Adding cornstarch is the first one. It never fails to create a tender cookie. The second one is in the technique to making cookies. Always refrigerate the cookie dough before baking.
This step allows the butter to chill and firm up. Preventing the cookies from spreading out and baking up thin and crispy.
By adding cornstarch and chilling the dough, you’re guaranteed to create a soft batch of cookies every time.
What makes our soft chocolate chip cookie recipe kid-friendly?
For starters, it’s a cookie recipe, and most kids I know love cookies. Also, there are no fancy steps or difficult techniques involved.
Furthermore, it teaches your children how to cook a simple dessert in less than an hour. That’s just long enough to keep their attention, without making them bored.
Finally, and most importantly, it’s an easy recipe that builds confidence and gets your children interested baking and cooking for themselves.
How do you make soft chocolate chip cookies from scratch?
That’s easy, follow our recipe! All joking aside, start by preheating your oven to 350ºF. After that, grab a large cookie sheet, and line it with parchment paper.
Using your stand mixer with a paddle attachment or large bowl and a hand mixer, cream the butter, brown, and granulated sugars. Mix the ingredients on medium speed for about 3 to 4 minutes until the butter is fluffy.
Now, add in the vanilla extract and the egg. Reduce the speed to low and continue mixing for another 60 to 90 seconds.
Afterward, set that mixture aside and grab a second bowl. In the clean bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. You can use a whisk or a fork to mix the dry ingredients.
Once they’re mixed pour them into the bowl with the butter and sugar mixture. Then, mix the wet and dry ingredients together on low speed until combined, about 1-minute.
Go ahead and fold in the chocolate chips. I use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon for this step so that I don’t overwork the dough.
It’s time to form the cookie dough balls. Kim uses a spoon to portion out the dough into 1.5-inch diameter balls.
Place the balls onto the prepared cookie sheet. When the cookie sheet is full, transfer it to your fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes or longer. The dough needs to be well chilled before it’s placed in the hot oven.
Once the dough chills, remove the pan from your fridge and place it into your oven. Preferably on the center rack in the middle of the preheated oven.
Let the soft chocolate chip cookies bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The edges will be done, and the tops will be very lightly brown. However, the centers may look slightly underdone, but that’s okay.
The cookies will finish cooking as they cool. But, if you prefer crispy edges, you could let them cook in the oven for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
Last, remove them from oven and let them sit (untouched) for 1-2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or plate. That’s it, your super soft chocolate chip cookie recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the treat and wish you all the best 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Tips:
- Be sure to remove the butter from your fridge at least 1-hour before starting. You want it to be soft when combine it with the sugars.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer with paddle attachments, then use a hand mixer and mixing bowl, or use a fork (for the butter and sugar) and a whisk (for the dry ingredients) and mix everything by hand.
- Don’t over mix the cookie dough. Flour can become tough when it’s over worked.
- Try to leave approximately 1-inch of space around each ball of dough so the cookies have room to grow as they bake.
Other cookie recipes you may enjoy:
- 1/2 Cup Softened Butter
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar, (packed)
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer and mixing bowl, use the paddle attachment to cream together the sugars and butter on medium speed until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Carefully add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined. Stir (or fold in) in the chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the dough balls on the baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
- After the dough chills, place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven when the cookies are lightly brown but still look soft in the middle.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a cooking rack. Store in an airtight container.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of 2-cookies. Actual calories will vary.
The chocolate chip cookies can be stored in a sealed container, at room temperature. The cookies will stay soft for 3-5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 13 Serving Size: 2 Cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 202mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g