These chocolate chip cookies are the best chewy chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever eat. They are chewy, sweet, and stay soft for days.
Thanksgiving is over, and we’re moving full speed into December. That means only a few short weeks until Christmas. December is one of the best months in my opinion.
For the last several years, I’ve baked tons of goodies for the entire month. There’s nothing like traditional baked goods and candies to get you into the holiday spirit.
Several months ago, I came across many cookie recipes that used cornstarch to keep the cookies soft. I was skeptical, but what did I have to lose? After playing around with the ingredients, I finally found something that seemed different from other recipes.
To my surprise, cornstarch worked extremely well and kept the cookies soft for several days. Give these a try and see what you think?
How to Make the Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Measure all the ingredients and have them ready and available to use.
- Place both sugars and the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Use the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until the sugars and butter are fluffy. This process takes about three minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and mix on low speed until combined.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and mix on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand, so they aren’t broken apart by the mixer.
- Scoop the dough into small amounts and roll into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the dough balls onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart, and put the pan into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Allow the dough to chill so it doesn’t spread as much when it bakes.
- After the dough chills, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. In my oven, the cookies bake in exactly 11 minutes each time.
- The cookies are finished when they are lightly browned but still soft in the center. The edges will not appear crunchy or crispy.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. The cookies will set completely as they cool. Serve after they cool or store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Need another decadent dessert recipe? Then check these out!
If you like this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to cream together the sugars and butter on medium speed until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Carefully add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Shape the dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the dough balls on the baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
- After the dough chills, place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven when the cookies are lightly brown but still look soft in the middle.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a cooking rack.
- Store in an airtight container.