*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips are the best of both worlds. Smooth peanut butter and rich dark chocolate are sure to be a favorite.
*This post was first published on 1/2/16 as Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chips.
We decided to “class up” the traditional peanut butter cookie by adding rich, dark chocolate chips to the mix.
Chocolate and peanut butter are such a great combo, but they’re rarely seen together in cookies. Usually you see them in recipes like our no bake chocolate peanut butter bars.
What you get is a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie studded with the goodness of chocolate chips. It’s pure perfection!
Peanut butter cookies fall into that special group of cookies that are referred to as classics. They share the spotlight with oatmeal, chocolate chip, and, of course, sugar cookies. The familiar criss-cross pattern lets you know immediately that the cookie you are about to enjoy is indeed peanut butter.
Normally, there’s not a lot of variety when it comes to making the dessert. In fact, the only major difference I’ve found is whether or not to use creamy or chunky peanut butter. That decision is purely preference. For this recipe, I’ve chosen to use creamy peanut butter.
Other minor differences include whether or not to use brown or white sugar, eggs or no eggs, and the list goes on. You get the picture. The goal for these cookies was to make soft and chewy peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips that would stay soft for days after they’d been baked.
That’s another thing. Do you like cookies soft and chewy, or thin and crispy? If it’s the latter, then this recipe may not be for you. These cookies bake up chewy and stay soft for days afterward if they actually last that long! Lol!
Chances are you already have everything you need right in the pantry. The dough comes together in a matter of minutes and bakes in about 13 to 15 minutes. In reality, the longest part is letting the dough chill in the fridge to keep the cookies from spreading while they bake. However, that part is completely optional if you just can’t wait and have to have the cookies now. 🙂
If you want something a little different than the traditional peanut butter cookie, give these chewy peanut butter cookies with dark chocolate chips a try. You won’t be disappointed.
If you like this Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies recipe, please leave us a comment and rate the recipe card. You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram searching for Berly’s Kitchen!
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened,
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (can be substituted with semi-sweet chips)
- Using a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla. Combine.
- Add peanut butter. Combine.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with cooking spray or silicone mat.
- Scoop dough out of bowl and roll into balls. About 2 tablespoons of dough for each ball.
- Place balls on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 13-15 minutes.
- Cookies are done when the edges are brown and centers are soft.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.