*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Make homemade Publix pizza dough in your own kitchen whenever you want. Simply add your favorite toppings to create a delicious homemade pizza!
When we lived in Florida, Publix was our favorite grocery store. They offered weekly specials, BOGO sales, and tons of fresh fruits and veggies.
With that being said, nothing beat the Publix pizza dough from the deli. The crust was crispy on the bottom and soft and chewy on the inside.
Kim and I would create all sorts of pizzas using their dough and our easy homemade tomato sauce.
However, there were a few times when the pizza dough was sold out. So, Kim decided to create a copycat Publix pizza crust.
It took a little time and a few modifications, but I think her recipe is the perfect substitute!
How to make homemade Publix Pizza Dough:
Prepping the Yeast:
First, start by using a microwave or pan to heat your water to 110-115 degrees F. to activate the yeast.
- Be very careful with the yeast because if it gets too hot, it will kill the yeast and the crust won’t rise.
Now, add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and use a fork or whisk to quickly mix the ingredients.
After that, let the yeast sit for about 5-10 minutes to activate. The water should begin to bubble and become murky.
While the yeast rises, place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Use a whisk to combine everything if your mixer won’t reach them at the bottom of the bowl.
Making the Dough:
Then, carefully pour the activated yeast mixture into the bowl with the flour.
Afterwards, using a dough hook attachment, mix on medium speed for 5 to 6 minutes until a smooth, elastic ball forms.
- It might be necessary to add additional flour a tablespoon at a time if the dough is too sticky.
Let the Dough Rest:
At this point, you want to let the dough rest and rise (also known as proofing).
Additionally, I would recommend drizzling some olive oil into your mixing bowl.
So, remove the Publix pizza dough from the mixer and place it in your prepped mixing bowl.
Go ahead and cover the bowl with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place it in a warm, draft-free area.
Then, allow the homemade pizza dough to rest and double in size. I usually let my dough rest for about an hour.
- One thing you can do while you wait is prep your toppings. That way, you’ll be ready to build your pizza once the resting time is completed.
Also, towards the end of the rising process, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
After the dough has doubled in size, remove it from the bowl and place it on a well-floured surface.
Now, knead it 3 to 4 times by hand and divide it into two equal portions. That’s right, this recipe makes two pizza crusts. You can use the extra one for garlic knots.
After that, pick up one of the pieces and carefully begin to stretch it out. Start from the center and work your way out pushing the dough to the outer edge as you go.
Once the dough reaches about 6-7 inches in diameter, place it on a greased pizza pan and continue stretching it out the rest of the way.
Toppings and Bake:
Top the homemade pizza dough with your favorite toppings and place it in an oven preheated to 400 degrees F.
The amount and type of toppings will determine how long the pizza needs to bake.
The more toppings you have, the longer it will take to bake. My one topping (not pre-baked) pizza takes 15-20 minutes to cook.
A pizza with multiple toppings that has been pre-baked only takes 10-15 minutes.
When we say pre-baked, that means baking the crust for 5-10 minutes in the preheated oven without any toppings.
Once your homemade pizza is done, remove from the oven and serve. That’s it, your homemade Publix pizza crust is done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Tips for our Easy Pizza Dough Recipe:
- The dough can be made without yeast, however, it will not rise.
- Additionally, go ahead and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom bowl when you let the dough rise. It will keep it from sticking to your bowl.
- We wouldn’t recommend freezing this dough because we’ve never done that and cannot tell you whether it works or not.
- When using multiple toppings, be sure to bake the dough for 5-10 minutes before you add the toppings. For example, a Supreme or Meat Lover’s style pizza has too many toppings for the pizza to bake without precooking the crust a little bit.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 12 Ounces Water
- 1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast, (or Instant Yeast)
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Heat water to 110-115 degrees. Add yeast and sugar to water and stir to mix. Set aside and allow yeast to activate.
- Place flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Once activated, add yeast mixture to the flour.
- Using a dough hook, mix the flour and yeast on medium speed for 5-6 minutes until a smooth, elastic dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add additional flour a tablespoon at a time.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a towel. Place in a warm, draft-free place and allow the dough to double in size (at least 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- After dough has doubled, place it on a well-floured surface. Knead it 4-5 times and divide in half.
- Take one piece and begin stretching it by hand starting in the middle and pushing the dough outward. Once the dough is 6-7 inches in diameter, place on a greased pizza pan and continue stretching until the dough covers the pan.
- Add your favorite toppings.
- Place the pan in preheated oven and bake until the crust is golden brown.
The calories listed are based on the ingredients and a serving size of 1 slice from a 12-inch pizza crust. This recipe makes enough for two 12-inch pizzas. Actual calories will vary. The dough can be made in advance and stored in your fridge for up to 3 days in an air-tight container. However, let the dough come to room temperature before stretching.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g