Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk only requires 4 ingredients and about 5 minutes to make. It’s as easy as dumping everything in a blender and pressing blend!
On occasion, we do run out or don’t have as many cans as we thought. In those instances, we make homemade sweetened condensed milk.
How to make homemade sweetened condensed milk:
This is a quick and easy recipe that only requires a blender and four ingredients. In about 5 minutes you’ll have a smooth, creamy sweetened condensed milk that’s equal to the amount in a 14 ounce can.
Before you get started, make sure the blender can handle very hot, boiling water with being damaged.
Add the powdered milk, granulated sugar, melted butter, and boiling water to the blender. Process on medium speed until the sweetened condensed milk is well blended and the sugar dissolves completely.
Immediately transfer to a jar or sealable container. Homemade sweetened condensed milk thickens quickly as it cools, so it’s best not to let it stay in the blender long.
Use the sweetened condensed milk immediately in place of canned or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Tips and Variations for Sweetened Condensed Milk:
- If by chance the sugar doesn’t dissolve completely in the blender, transfer the sweetened condensed milk to a small saucepan. Heat it over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes while whisking constantly, and remove from heat immediately when the sugar dissolves. If it stays too long and becomes too warm, the mixture will begin to forms lumps and clump together.
- Try using powdered sugar in place of granulated sugar. Powdered sugar dissolves faster and easier.
- If needed, scrape down the sides of the blender to ensure all the powdered milk is able to mix into the other ingredients.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- If you don’t have a blender, heat the water in a saucepan on the stove. Add the sugar, and whisk until dissolved. Next, add the dry milk, and finally the melted butter. Whisk until creamy and well combined, then remove from heat.
Don’t forget to check out our web story showing How to Make Sweetened Condensed Milk.
Other recipe substitutions you may enjoy:
- Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute
- Homemade Bisquick Mix
- Cream of Celery Soup Substitute
- Buttermilk Substitute
- Homemade Cake Flour Substitute
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 1 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk
- ⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Hot Water
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- Please see information in the post/article for answers to frequently asked questions.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use, or up to 7 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the entire recipe of sweetened condensed milk. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1.25 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1070Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 170gFiber: 0gSugar: 170gProtein: 25g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.