Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk only requires 4 ingredients and about 5 minutes to make. It's as easy as dumping everything in a blender and pressing blend!
On occasion, we do run out or don't have as many cans as we thought. In those instances, we make homemade sweetened condensed milk.
How to make homemade sweetened condensed milk:
Scroll to the recipe card below for full instructions and ingredient amounts!
This is a quick and easy recipe that only requires a blender and four ingredients. In about 5 minutes you'll have a smooth, creamy sweetened condensed milk that's equal to the amount in a 14 ounce can.
Before you get started, make sure the blender can handle very hot, boiling water with being damaged.
- Add the powdered milk, granulated sugar, melted butter, and boiling water to the blender. Process on medium speed until the sweetened condensed milk is well blended and the sugar dissolves completely.
- Immediately transfer to a jar or sealable container. Homemade sweetened condensed milk thickens quickly as it cools, so it's best not to let it stay in the blender long.
- Use the sweetened condensed milk immediately in place of canned or store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Tips and Variations for Sweetened Condensed Milk:
- If by chance the sugar doesn't dissolve completely in the blender, transfer the sweetened condensed milk to a small saucepan. Heat it over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes while whisking constantly, and remove from heat immediately when the sugar dissolves. If it stays too long and becomes too warm, the mixture will begin to forms lumps and clump together.
- Try using powdered sugar in place of granulated sugar. Powdered sugar dissolves faster and easier.
- If needed, scrape down the sides of the blender to ensure all the powdered milk is able to mix into the other ingredients.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- If you don't have a blender, heat the water in a saucepan on the stove. Add the sugar, and whisk until dissolved. Next, add the dry milk, and finally the melted butter. Whisk until creamy and well combined, then remove from heat.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Place all the ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.1 cup nonfat dry milk⅔ cup granulated sugar⅓ cup hot water3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use, or up to 7 days.