A delicious chicken soft tacos recipe, perfect for your Instant Pot. Our recipe uses simple ingredients roasted tomatoes, green chiles, and taco seasoning to create a quick dinner everyone will love.
Who doesn’t love a great chicken soft tacos recipe? With the growing popularity of the Instant Pot brand, Kim and I wanted to share a quick and easy taco recipe perfect for your pressure cooker. We hope you enjoy this Tex-Mex inspired meal as much as we did.
As is the case with most of your dishes, simplicity is the main theme. Keeping that in mind, we used a mix of fresh and processed ingredients. It saves time and makes the whole process a lot easier. So, let’s get started.
How to Make Chicken Soft Tacos:
- First, start by turning your Instant Pot to its saute setting. Then add your olive oil and give the pot a minute or two for the oil to heat.
- Next, add the chicken, sliced onions, and taco seasoning to the heated olive oil. Go ahead saute the ingredients for 3-5 minutes. Just long enough for the chicken to start turning white on the outside.
- After that, you’ll want to put in the garlic. Let it saute for about 30-seconds; however, don’t let it burn. If the garlic overcooks, then it will become bitter.
- Once the garlic is done, add the remaining ingredients, the chicken broth, can of roasted tomatoes and green chiles.
- Once you have added all the ingredients, close the lid and make sure the valve is set to “sealing,” set the Instant Pot to “manual, high pressure (manual/pressure cook),” for 6 minutes.
- Last, once the chicken soft tacos have cooked, allow the Instant Pot to perform a 10-minute “natural release.” Serve the finished tacos with condiments like cilantro, diced onions, and shredded cheese.
Tips for Chicken Soft Tacos:
- Be sure to deglaze the Instant Pot when you add the chicken broth to capture all that flavor that stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve your cilantro as a condiment. Some people, like myself, think it has a weird flavor. Don’t believe me, see this article from the Huffington Post.
- Don’t own an Instant Pot, that’s okay, just put everything into a large saucepan or stockpot, uncovered, and cook it over medium-low heat for about an hour.
Missing an Instant Pot, then try our Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos recipe!
Looking for other tasty Instant Pot recipes? Give this a try!
Instant Pot Chicken Soft Tacos
- 1 Lb. Chicken Breasts (cut into strips)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth (low-sodium)
- 1 Ounce Taco Seasoning (we used McCormick)
- 1 Medium Spanish or White Onion (sliced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 10 Ounce Can of Roasted Tomatoes and Green Chiles (we used store brand)
- 16 Small Street Taco-sized Tortillas (corn and flour)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- First, turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and add the olive oil.
- Next, add the chicken, onions, and taco seasoning to the Instant Pot. Saute the mixture for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is white on the outside.
- Then, add the garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds. Now pour in the tomatoes, chiles, and chicken broth.
- Use a the broth to deglaze the bottom of the pot. A wooden spoon works great for scraping the bottom.
- Afterward, close the lid and make sure the valve is set to "sealing," set the Instant Pot to "manual, high pressure (manual/pressure cook)," for 6 minutes.
- Last, once the chicken soft tacos have cooked, allow the Instant Pot to perform a 10-minute "natural release." Serve the finished tacos with condiments like cilantro, diced onions, and shredded cheese.