Our Instant Pot street tacos with chicken have all the flavor of your favorite street side-taco but we used seasoned chicken instead of carne asada.
Who doesn't love street tacos? However, I've noticed most recipes only feature beef. Kim and I wanted to make a version using Tex-Mex chicken.
So, we decided to adapt our original chicken soft taco recipe into Instant Pot street tacos with chicken instead of carne asada.
All it takes is few ingredients and about 35-minutes to create your own street taco experience in the comfort of your kitchen.
How to make Instant Pot street tacos:
First, start by turning your Instant Pot on to its saute setting. Place the stainless steel liner into the pot.
Then add your cooking oil and give the pot a minute or two to heat up. After that, toss in the chicken, onions, and taco seasoning.
Now, you can use store-bought taco seasoning. It works just fine. Or, you can use a homemade version, similar to what we used on our tasty turkey tacos.
Once the chicken has cooked for about 4 minutes, put in the garlic. Let it saute for about 30-seconds; however, don't let it burn.
If the garlic overcooks, then it will become bitter. Afterward, when the garlic is done, add the chicken broth, roasted tomatoes, and green chiles.
Then, close the lid and seal the valve. Set the pressure cooker on manual or high pressure for 6 minutes.
Last, allow the machine to perform a 10 minute "natural release." If desired, use tongs or 2 forks to shred the Tex-Mex chicken.
Serve the finished street tacos with condiments like cilantro, diced onions, and shredded cheese.
Tips for Instant Pot street tacos:
- Be sure to deglaze the Instant Pot when you add the chicken broth to capture all that flavor that stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve your cilantro as a condiment. Some people, like myself, think it has an odd flavor. Don't believe me, see this article from the Britannica.
- This can be made on a stove-top by putting everything into a large saucepan or stockpot, uncovered, and cook it over medium-low heat for about an hour.
- Yon make street tacos in the Instant Pot with chicken thighs by substituting boneless chicken thighs in place of the chicken breast.
- Season the chicken with our homemade chicken seasoning.
Other Instant Pot chicken recipes you may love:
- Easy Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, canola, corn, vegetable, etc.
- 1 ounce taco seasoning, store bought or homemade
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles, 1 can
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 street taco-sized tortillas, corn or flour
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the saute setting, add the liner, and add the oil.2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Add the chicken, onions, and taco seasoning to the line. Saute the mixture for 3-5 minutes.1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts1 ounce taco seasoning1 white onion
- Then, add the garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds. Now pour in the tomatoes and green chiles, and chicken broth. Scrape the bottom of the liner to keep the chicken from sticking.2 garlic cloves10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to "sealing," set the Instant Pot to "manual, high pressure (manual/pressure cook)," for 6 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to perform a 10-minute "natural release." Serve the finished tacos with condiments like cilantro, diced onions, and shredded cheese.16 street taco-sized tortillas