A deliciously cheesy Instant Pot ranch chicken and rice recipe. All you need is a little ranch seasoning to take your chicken and rice to the next level!
It's been a bit since we shared a pressure cooker recipe. Kim has been wanting to make something like this for awhile now, but she had to ensure that everything would work well together.
This is especially true when working with a pressure cooker. So, after some experimenting, she's ready to share her Instant Pot ranch chicken and rice recipe.
Just as the name implies, it's a spin on the traditional Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe. Adding ranch seasoning and cheese is a simple way to take a simple recipe to the next level.
This recipe is different from Crack Chicken which uses similar ingredients but has a creamy texture due to cream cheese. Ranch chicken and rice is closer to our Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice with ranch seasoning in place of the broccoli.
It's also very similar to our Instant Pot Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta with a couple of changes and bacon and pasta, of course!
Oh, don't forget, if you have any issues, there's a tips section below.
If you love this recipe, then check out our easy Instant Pot buffalo chicken and rice!
How to make Instant Pot Ranch Chicken and Rice:
By now, you should know the drill. Prep first, then cook! Start by gathering all your ingredients and if possible, measure them out. Shred the cheese, dice the onions, etc.
After that, turn your pressure cooker on to the saute function. As it begins to heat, season both sides of your chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Now, drizzle the oil into the liner and carefully lay your breasts into the pot. They will need to cook for about five (5) minutes on each.
Once the chicken is done you can remove it from the pot and toss in the diced onion. Again, you're looking at another five (5) minutes of cook time.
During this process, it's important to de-glaze the bottom of the liner. Scrape off any food that has tried to stick.
You may need to add a splash of water to the pot to properly de-glaze it. Otherwise, you might receive a burn notice on your ranch chicken.
When the onions are ready, turn off the appliance and put the chicken back into the Instant Pot.
Place the breasts right on top of the diced onions. Grab your ranch seasoning and sprinkle it over the breasts.
Now, it's time to pour in the uncooked rice and chicken broth. One thing to note here, please make sure the rice is totally submerged beneath the broth.
In other words, no rice should be above the liquid. It's just one more thing you can do to keep your ranch chicken and rice from burning.
With the liquid added, you can now seal your pressure cooker. Make sure the valve is sealed and set it to Manual/High Pressure cook for eight (8) minutes.
As far as the cook time is concerned, eight (8) minutes is the recommended time for raw chicken (per the Instant Pot website).
Furthermore, when the timer goes off, let the appliance complete a ten (10) minute natural release before opening the valve. Doing so will keep the meat tender. Reducing these times is NOT recommended.
Hang in there, we're almost done! Okay, with the lid removed, use two (2) forks or tongs to shred the chicken.
Carefully, pour in the heavy cream and add the shredded cheddar. Stir everything together.
That's it, your Instant Pot ranch chicken and rice is complete! Serve it now or store it in your fridge in a sealed container.
Of course, try and wait for it to cool a little before storing. Kim and I hope you enjoyed the recipe and wish everyone a lovely day 🙂
Instant Pot Ranch Chicken and Rice Tips:
Don't care for ranch seasoning. That's okay, there are other seasoning blends you can try. For example, french onion soup (substituting provolone for cheddar) mix or taco seasoning should also work for this recipe.
Play around and see what combination you enjoy the most. If your ranch chicken and rice is too thick then consider adding a little milk or extra heavy cream to thin it out.
Just be aware that it will dull the ranch flavor. On the chance you decide to cook more than one (1) pound of chicken you will need to adjust the cook time accordingly.
But, this can affect how the rice turns out. Try your best to keep the meat to around one (1) pound, if possible.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning mix, 1 packet
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream, half and half or milk will also work
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Turn the Instant Pot onto Saute, and allow to get hot. While the liner is heating, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.½ teaspoon kosher salt1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the oil and chicken to the hot liner. Brown chicken on both sides for about 3-5 minutes then remove from liner.2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Add the diced onions to Instant Pot, and cook until they are soft and translucent (approximately 3-5 minutes). Use the moisture from the onions to deglaze the liner and scrape any food bits from the chicken off the bottom. If needed, pour ¼ cup water or broth to assist with deglazing.1 cup white onion
- Turn off the Instant Pot, and place the chicken back in on top of the onions. Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken.1 ounce ranch seasoning mix
- Pour the rice in next, and add the broth last. If necessary, use a wooden spoon or spatula to press the rice into the broth. It’s important that all the rice is submerged in liquid to reduce the chances of a burn notice and to ensure even cooking.1 cup long grain white rice1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Close the lid, and set the valve to sealing. Use the manual/pressure cook button and adjust the time to 8 minutes (6-8 minutes per pound of chicken according to the Instant Pot website). After the time is up, allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid, and use two forks to shred the chicken. Pour in the heavy cream, half and half, or milk, and add cheese. Stir to combine and until cheese is melted. Serve hot, and top with additional shredded cheese if desired.½ cup heavy cream1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese