Sit back, relax, and take the edge off with a classic Rum and Coke! This legendary cocktail features just those two classic ingredients over ice and always guarantees smooth sips. Serve this simple libation at a party or just enjoy one at the end of a long day – it’s always sure to satisfy!
A Rum and Coke is what we lovingly refer to as a “bar classic.” You know, when you’re at a questionable bar and don’t want to order anything too crazy… So you order this old faithful! Complete the bar experience at home with finger foods like Fried Cheese Curds and Crockpot Chicken Nachos!
Rum and Coke
There’s nothing like a good ole Rum and Coke! This classic cocktail has been around since the dawn of the American bar. It calls for two ingredients over ice and always guarantees the smoothest sips! You don’t need to be a bartender to make a drink that’s this wonderfully frills-free.
Plus, when you’re making a Rum and Coke at home, you can determine exactly how strong you want it to be. Make it a double without being charged extra for it – it’s your kitchen, you get to enjoy it exactly how you want!
How to Make a Rum and Coke
Pour, stir, sip, repeat. That’s all there is to it!
- Place a few ice cubes in a glass.
- Pour in the rum.
- Pour in the coke.
- Stir to combine.
Tips and Variations
- There’s SO much room for creativity when it comes to the cola! Plain Coca-Cola is the most classic soda to use for a Rum and Coke, but you can play around with that. There are always so many fun coke flavors to choose from, after all! Cherry vanilla, orange, and more – experiment with them all if you’d like!
- Remove most of the calories from this cocktail by simply replacing the regular cola with diet or zero.
- Many people love the taste of lime and cola – especially diet cola. Squeeze a little lime juice in your Rum and Coke for a hint of tangy citrus flavor. Sometimes people refer to this a coke with rum and lime as a Cuba Libre. We like this rum cocktail anyway we can get it!
We don’t recommend storing this cocktail or making it ahead of time. You don’t want that bubbly carbonation to go flat!
What kind of rum should I use for a Rum and Coke?
White rum is the best for Rum and Coke. It has a subtle, smooth sweetness to it that makes it really pair perfectly with the soda.
How much alcohol is in Rum and Coke?
In this standard recipe, we use about 2 ounces of rum and mix it with about 6 ounces of coke. You can alter that to use more or less alcohol as needed.
More Cocktail Recipes
Rum and CokePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 2 ounces white rum
- 6 ounces cola
- Place a large cube or a handful of ice into a glass. Pour in the rum and top off with cola. Stir to combine.ice2 ounces white rum6 ounces cola
- Enjoy immediately!