Our Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodles recipe is the ultimate comfort food, combining tender egg noodles and juicy chicken cooked to perfection in a creamy sauce. With simple ingredients and just 10 minutes of preparation, this warm, hearty meal is effortlessly made in your crockpot.
John and I have been especially busy the last few months, so I've been trying to make more one pot meals and slow cooker recipes. We really love my slow cooker chicken and noodles!
It's made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, a few savory seasonings, cream of chicken soup, broth, frozen noodles and veggies. This slow cooker recipe is simple comfort food and so easy to put together.
You'll find the full amounts further down the page.
- Chicken: We used boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Seasonings: You'll need garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Liquid: Low-sodium chicken broth and water.
- Cream of Chicken Soup.
- Egg Noodles: We use frozen egg noodles.
- Vegetables: You'll need frozen mixed vegetables.
- Optional: Chicken bouillon base (chicken base) for extra flavor. This is the kind in the jar.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodles
Here is a quick summary of the recipe. Scroll to the recipe card below for the full instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Then, place it in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the broth, water, cream of chicken soup, and chicken base (if using). Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-5 hours. The chicken should reach 165°F internally.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Add the it back to the slow cooker, along with frozen egg noodles and vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Cook for an additional 60-90 minutes, stirring every 20-30 minutes, or until the egg noodles are fully cooked.
- Serve warm with fresh parsley.
Our crock pot chicken and noodles recipe is versatile and customizable up to a point. You'll want to stick to the basic ingredients to achieve the best results.
Of course, it may take some trial and error depending on your brand of slow cooker. We haven't tested this recipe with gluten-free or high protein noodles.
- Chicken: Use boneless or bone-in chicken thighs. Make sure the internal temperature is 165°F to ensure they're cooked all the way through.
- Dry Egg Noodles: Swap the frozen egg noodles for dry egg noodles. However, you'll want to only use 8 ounces of noodles, add ½ cup (1 stick) of butter, and omit the water. Cook the noodles on LOW for 30-40 minutes or until they're tender.
- Broth: Use low-sodium chicken broth in place of water (so 6 cups of broth total). However, the flavor and sodium content may be too strong for some.
- Noodles: Try another variety of noodles like penne, rigatoni, or ziti. The instructions I've listed above for using dry egg noodles also work for other dry noodles.
- Vegetables: Add fresh vegetables to this old fashioned chicken and creamy noodles recipe. Some vegetables may need to be sautéed first. Fresh mushrooms and onions are some great options.
- Herbs: For more flavor, add herbs like fresh thyme, rosemary, or oregano.
- Chicken: Use a combination of white and dark meat chicken.
- Sour Cream: For an ultra creamy touch, add a dollop or two of sour cream to to this creamy crockpot chicken.
We used a 7-quart crockpot for this recipe. It cooks a little on the hot side, and our chicken cooked in about 2 ½ hours. This is something to keep in mind when making your recipe.
You'll need to adjust the recipe if you're using a different size slow cooker.
We don't recommend doubling the chicken and noodles. It was over half full in a 7-quart. For best results, make two separate batches.
- You can use broth in place of water (listed above), but the flavor is similar to that of undiluted, canned condensed chicken noodle soup. It's a strong flavor that may be too much for some people.
- We've listed chicken bouillon base (the semi-solid kind in a jar) as an optional ingredient. It adds a lot of flavor but also adds extra sodium. Use only if desired.
- This is not intended to be the consistency of chicken noodle soup. It's much thicker and creamier.
- For crisper, crunchier vegetables, add them a few minutes before the cooking time is up.
Frequently Asked Question
Why are the noodles mushy and doughy?
Frozen egg noodles are a dumpling style noodle, so they cook thicker than dry egg noodles. They soak up a lot of liquid as they cook.
These noodles are doughy and starchy compared to dry noodles. When overcooked, they'll get mushy.
They should be soft when they finish cooking but not mushy.
Refrigerator: Store leftover chicken and noodles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freezer: Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Thawing and Reheating: Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat until heated through. Add extra chicken broth as needed.
Freezing leftovers may change the texture slightly, but the flavor should stay the same.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 21 ounces cream of chicken soup, 2 (10 ½ ounce) cans
- ½ teaspoon chicken base, optional; (*See note.)
- 24 ounces frozen egg noodles
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Then, place in the slow cooker.2 pounds boneless skinless chicken½ teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon onion powder½ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the broth, water, cream of chicken soup, and chicken base if using. Pour the mixture over the chicken.4 cups low-sodium chicken broth2 cups water21 ounces cream of chicken soup½ teaspoon chicken base
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-5 hours. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker along with frozen egg noodles and vegetables. Stir to combine.24 ounces frozen egg noodles10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- Cook for an additional 60-90 minutes or until the egg noodles are cooked through. Stir every 20-30 minutes. Serve warm!
- Scroll up and see the post for tips, variations, substitutions, and storage information.