*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Inspired by our time in Florida, this homemade crab cakes recipe features yummy crab, crunchy peppers and onions, and a special blend of seafood seasonings!
As you may know, Kim and I lived in Florida for almost ten (10) years. It was an amazing life experience.
One of the best things about living there was the fresh seafood! Just about anything you wanted you could get at the markets in Miami.
As a result, I learned to cook a lot of seafood dishes. Today’s crab cakes recipe was one of my first successes. Serve it with homemade remoulade sauce for the ultimate seaside experience.
So, shall we get started?
How to make homemade crab cakes?
First, start by prepping the crab and dicing the celery, peppers, and onions. Also, preheat your oven to 425° F. and place a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
Next, grab a large mixing bowl and add the crab meat, cracked eggs, breadcrumbs, peppers, onions, celery, mayonnaise, seafood seasonings, black pepper, and Dijon mustard.
After that, use a wooden spoon or your clean hands to mix everything together.
Then, shape the mixture into four (4) equal-sized cakes. Place the butter into the hot pan and let it melt.
Now, once the butter has melted, carefully lay the crab cakes into the skillet. Let them cook for about five (5) minutes on each side so that they have a nice crunchy crust.
Last, place them into the oven to bake for ten (10) to fifteen (15) minutes. Remove them from the oven and serve.
That’s it, your homemade crab cakes recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best 🙂
- You can skip the pan sear and bake them in the oven in a non-stick casserole dish. However, they will not have that golden crust and will need to cook in the oven for at least twenty (20) to twenty-five (25) minutes.
- If you’d like to turn these into an appetizer, then shape the crab cake mixture into eight to ten (8-10) equal sized patties. Afterwards, pan fry them or bake them in the oven. Just be sure to keep an eye on them because the cakes will cook faster.
- Another amazing dinner idea is to make crab cake tacos. Simply break up the patties, once they cook, then place them into flour tortillas. Top them with a spicy fish taco sauce and any other toppings you desire.
- Have an issue with gluten? Try using shredded or mashed potatoes in place of the breadcrumbs for a gluten-free crab cake dinner.
- 1 Lb. Crab Meat, (best quality you can get)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup Bell Pepper, (diced)
- 1/4 Cup White Onion, (diced)
- 1/8 Cup Celery, (diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Teaspoon Seafood Seasoning, (we used Old Bay)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Unsalted Butter, (for cooking the cakes)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F., and heat a large, oven-safe pan or skillet (such as cast iron) over low-medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the crab meat, breadcrumbs, bell peppers, onion, celery, eggs, mayonnaise, Old Bay, pepper, and Dijon mustard. Form the mixture into 4 equal sized patties.
- Melt the butter in the preheated pan and cook the crab cakes for 4 to 5 minutes per side, just enough to brown them.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve hot with remoulade or your other favorite seafood sauce.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of one (1), four (4) ounce crab cake. The calorie count does NOT include the lemon wedges or fresh parsley seen on the photos. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Smithcraft Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set 18/8(304) Steel Material Heavy Duty 8 Measuring Cups and 1 Ring Set of 9
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
- Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron 3 Skillet Bundle. 12 inches and 10.25 inches with 8 inch Set of 3 Cast Iron Frying Pans
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 1105mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g