*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
An easy homemade pumpkin cake recipe featuring a moist pumpkin spiced cake topped with a decadent butter and cream cheese frosting!
Pumpkin season is starting to slow down. However, here at Berly’s Kitchen, we’re still cranking out recipes for the pumpkin lover in all of us.
For today’s post, we’re sharing Kim’s pumpkin cake recipe. It’s basically a pumpkin spiced sheet cake topped with a simple frosting.
There are only seven (7) quick steps and the hardest part is waiting for the cake to cool. So, shall we get started?
Equipment Used for Pumpkin Cake:
How to make a pumpkin cake recipe?
First, you’ll want to start by making the pumpkin cake. The frosting can be prepared while it bakes or cools.
As always, use the photos below as references and feel free to contact us anytime you have a question.
Go ahead and remove the butter and cream cheese from your fridge because it needs time to soften.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a nine (9) by thirteen (13) inch cake pan.
Next, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and ground cinnamon.
You’ll want all the dry ingredients combined before you start working with the wet ingredients. Now, grab another mixing bowl.
In the second bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and pumpkin puree. Your mixture should look similar to the one above.
Afterward, take the wet ingredients and combine them with the flour mixture.
Once both sets of ingredients have been combined, you should have a creamy cake batter.
At this point, you can transfer the pumpkin cake batter to a nine (9) by thirteen (13) inch cake pan.
Then, use a rubber spatula to smooth out the batter. Place the pan into the oven to bake for about twenty-five (25) to thirty (30) minutes) or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
How to make cream cheese frosting?
As I stated earlier, you can create the frosting while the pumpkin cake is baking. Or, you can wait till it’s cooling. The choice is up to you.
Using a hand mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
You should have a smooth and creamy frosting for your pumpkin cake recipe.
Once the cake has cooled for at least sixty (60) minutes, use a rubber spatula to apply the frosting.
That’s it, your pumpkin cake recipe is done, Kim and I wish you all the best 🙂
Do you refrigerate pumpkin cake?
Yes, because the frosting contains butter and cream cheese which are not considered shelf stable (they need refrigeration).
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
Homemade Pumpkin Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Cake Batter
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Vegetable (or Canola or your preferred choice)
- 15 Ounces Pumpkin Puree (one ((1)) can)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese (softened)
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9 x 13-inch cake pan. Also, remove the butter and cream cheese from your fridge to soften.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, and pumpkin puree. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting. Meanwhile, make the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Use a spatula to apply the frosting to the cooled cake (top with chopped pecans if desired). Cut and serve.