An instant pot potato soup with bacon recipe that’s loaded with all your favorite ingredients, like cheddar cheese, garlic, onions, potatoes and thyme.
Here we go again, another soup recipe for your Fall food collection. This recipe is an Instant Pot adaptation of our Creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup,
So, if you don’t have an Instant Pot, that’s okay, just click that link for a stove-top version of this potato soup with bacon. Honestly, I’m not sure which soup recipe I like the most. Both options have all my favorite ingredients, like bacon, cheese, and a heavy cream base.
I suppose, I don’t have to pick one, I can enjoy them both equally. They are the perfect soups to indulge in on a cold day and they definitely hit on the mark on “comfort food.”
The main difference between each potato soup with bacon is the Instant Pot version takes a little less time. If you happen to be pressed for time, then I recommend you give this dish a try. While this might seem abrupt, how about we stop chatting and start cooking?
How to Make Potato Soup with Bacon:
- First, start by turning on the Instant Pot and setting it to saute. Now, add the uncooked bacon to the pot. Cook it until it reaches the desired crispness, then remove the bacon from the pot. Turn off the instant pot and drain out any excess grease.
- Next, turn the Instant Pot back on and set it to saute once again. Then add the butter, onion, and garlic. Saute everything for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are soft. Be sure not to over cook the garlic or it with become bitter. Turn the instant pot off the saute function.
- At this point, it’s time to return the cooked bacon back to the pot and add the broth, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir all of the ingredients to combine them.
- Then, close the lid and make sure the valve is turned to “sealing.” Set the Instant Pot to manual pressure/pressure cook high for 10 minutes. While the soup cooks, whisk together the heavy cream and flour and set the mixture aside for later.
- After the 10-minutes are up, complete a quick release. Remove the lid and set the Instant Pot back to saute. Afterwards, carefully add the heavy cream mixture and shredded cheddar cheese while stirring the soup. Continuously stir the soup until it thickens. It should only take about 3-4 minutes.
- Last, pour 1-cup servings of the soup into bowls and top with additional bacon, cheese, and green onions if desired. Serve the potato soup with bacon immediately and store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Instant Pot Potato Soup with Bacon Tips:
- Make sure you cut the potatoes into 1-inch, bite-sized, chunks; otherwise, the potatoes will not cook properly.
- In regards to the potatoes, you can choose any variety of potato you desire. We chose golden or yellow potatoes simply because that’s what we had on-hand.
- To create a vegetarian potato soup version, leave out the bacon.
Instant Pot Potato Soup with Bacon
- 8 Slices Bacon (plus any extra for garnish)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup White Onion (chopped by volume)
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic (jarred or 4 fresh cloves)
- 32 Ounces Vegetable Broth
- 6 Small Yellow Potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme (or to taste)
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (by volume)
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour (by volume)
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded by volume)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- First, turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the uncooked bacon to the pot. Cook until it reaches the desired crispness, then remove from the pot. Turn off the pot and drain any excess grease.
- Next, turn the Instant Pot back to saute, then add the butter, onion, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft. Turn off the saute function.
- Then, add the cooked bacon, broth, potatoes, thyme, salt,and pepper. Stir the ingredients to combine.
- Afterwards, close the lid and make sure the valve is turned to “sealing.” Set the Instant Pot to manual pressure/pressure cook high for 10 minutes. While the soup cooks, whisk together the heavy cream and flour. Set aside.
- Last, after the 10 minutes, complete a quick release. Remove the lid, and set the Instant Pot back to saute. Carefully add the heavy cream mixture and shredded cheese while stirring. Continue to stir until the soup thickens (about 3-4 minutes). Top with additional bacon, cheese, and green onions. Serve immediately.