One pot Mushroom Rice is a quick and easy side dish full of fantastic flavor! Hearty and filling, this dish comes together in under 30 minutes. Serve it with savory grilled chicken or a juicy sirloin steak and you’ve got a restaurant quality dinner the whole family will love!
Mushroom Rice is a one pot side dish that will have your mouth watering. Made in under half an hour, this dish is quick, easy, and delicious at that! It’s perfect as a side or to eat on it’s own for lunch.
Made with flavorful beef consomme, tangy worcestershire sauce, tender mushrooms, and long grain rice that cooks right along with the rest of the ingredients, soaking in all that flavor, and saving you on clean up time later!
- butter: Unsalted is best.
- long grain rice: White rice, uncooked.
- onion: A small white onion, diced. You could also substitute a yellow onion.
- green bell pepper: Also diced.
- celery: Finely chopped.
- Worcestershire sauce: This pairs wonderfully with the beef and mushroom flavors.
- cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder: For seasoning.
- beef consommé: You can substitute beef broth or stock but because beef consommé is concentrated the flavor may not be as intense.
- jar of mushrooms: Sliced and drained. Feel free to also use fresh mushrooms if you prefer.
How to Make Mushroom Rice
- In a medium saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over low-medium heat. Add in the rice and cook until golden brown. Typically about 4-5 minutes, careful not to burn.
- Next, add the diced onion, bell pepper, chopped celery, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes just until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Now, pour in the beef consommé and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Continue cooking for 8-12 minutes until most of the liquid has cooked out but some remains on the bottom. The rice should be slightly tender with a bite in the center.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, stir to combine, then cover and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve hot as a side dish with your favorite entree and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Beef consomme is a more concentrated beef broth with a strong flavor. If substituting normal beef broth or stock, be aware the flavor won’t be as intense. A cube of beef bullion could be added in to achieve the stronger flavor.
- You can switch from white to brown rice if you prefer. The brown rice will require more liquid to cook and a longer cook time. You’ll need to add about 10 minutes to cooking for the rice to be tender.
- Add a touch of sriracha for a kick of spice.
- Use fresh mushrooms over a jar for even more flavor.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: You can store any leftover Mushroom Rice in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This rice also freezes well. Store in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months!
Reheating: When reheating you can simply pop this rice in the microwave until warmed through. If frozen, let thaw first. If the rice has become too stuck together, sprinkle a dash of water over top before reheating to loosen things up.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 21 ounces beef consommé, two (10 ½ ounce) cans
- 4 ½ ounces mushrooms, jarred, sliced, and drained
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low-medium heat. Add the rice, and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.3 tablespoons unsalted butter1 cup long grain white rice
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes just until the vegetables begin to soften.1 small white onion1 green bell pepper½ cup celery1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce1 teaspoon ground cumin½ teaspoon kosher salt¼ teaspoon pepper¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pour in the beef consommé, and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce the heat to low simmer. Continue cooking for 8-12 minutes until most of the liquid has cooked out but some remains on the bottom. The rice should be slightly tender with a bite in the center.21 ounces beef consommé
- Add the sliced mushrooms, stir to combine, cover and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.4 ½ ounces mushrooms
- Serve hot as a side dish. See post for storage options.