*This post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a small commission from the sale if you purchase from the affiliate link.
Our spicy chicken pasta recipe features seasoned grilled chicken breast sitting on top of a bed of pasta that’s been tossed in a creamy chipotle sauce.
This recipe was originally published in November of 2016. We marketed it as a chipotle chicken dish. Turns out, there a lot of chipotle chicken pasta recipes out there, believe me, I checked.
However, most of them are copycat dishes that are supposed to mimic a pasta dish served at popular cheesecake themed restaurant.
The problem was, our spicy chicken pasta had nothing to do with that other meal. So, we decided it was time to republish the post.
For today, we’ll be cooking my spicy chicken pasta.
- Large Stock Pot
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Cheese Grater
- Large Skillet
- Measuring Spoons
How to Make Our Spicy Chicken Pasta Recipe:
First, cook the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside. Next, season the chicken (both sides) with your favorite taco seasonings.
Grill the chicken for six (6) to seven (7) minutes on each side or until it has cooked completely. Set it aside to rest while you make the sauce.
After that, in a medium saucepan oven medium heat, melt the butter. Then, add the flour and whisk to combine.
Let the mixture cook for two (2) to three (3) minutes. You’re making a blonde roux. Remember the longer a roux cooks the darker it will become.
With that being said, the darker a roux gets, the less it works as a thickening agent. For example, a cream sauce like ours will be thicker than a gumbo.
Once the roux has cooked, toss in the chipotle paste, chipotle powder, and salt.
Now, carefully pour in the half and half and stir to ensure the spices mix evenly. Allow the mixture to began to steam but not boil.
Slowly add the shredded pepper jack cheese while whisking. Continue to whisk until all the cheese melts.
Do a taste test and add additional salt if needed. Last, toss the cooked pasta in the cream sauce to coat. Place the pasta on a plate and top it with sliced chicken.
That’s it, your spicy chicken pasta recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and wish you all the best 🙂
What can I add to chicken pasta?
- Cooked Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow)
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Sauteed Onions
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Green Chilies
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Roasted Garlic
Can I make this chicken pasta in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot?
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it. I feel the chipotle sauce is way too delicate to survive in a pressure cooker.
If you are looking for a similar chicken pasta then try our pressure cooker chicken spaghetti.
It’s creamy, spicy, and you can always add chipotle powder or paste to the recipe.
Why are the calories and fat so high in this recipe?
Well, without trying to sound sarcastic, what do you expect? The pasta dish uses butter, cheese, and half and half. Ingredients that are known for being, well, high in calories and fat.
With that being said, we are a household of three (3) and the recipe made enough food to for all of us to eat our fill (more than one small serving each).
Between the heavy sauce and lean chicken, it’s a filling pasta dish that doesn’t require the full serving to fill you up, if eaten responsibly.
Looking for more chicken recipes?
Spicy Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 4 Ounces Dry Pasta (fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti)
- 1/2 Lb. Chicken Breast
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning (or to taste, for the chicken)
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 4 Teaspoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Paste
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 2 Ounces Pepper Jack cheese (shredded)
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain, and set aside (or per the box instructions).
- Season chicken and grill until cooked completely (about 6-7 minutes each side depending on thickness).
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes to allow any raw flour flavor to cook out.
- Add the chipotle paste, chipotle powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Carefully add the half and half and heat until the mixture begins to steam but not boil.
- Add the pepper jack cheese a little at a time while whisking. Make sure the cheese melts completely and continue to heat until warm but not boiling. Add more salt to taste.
- Toss the cooked pasta in the chipotle sauce to coat and place the pasta on plates and top with sliced chicken.