Smoky Chipotle Chicken Pasta is the perfect dinner for two or the whole family. Seasoned grilled chicken breast tops a bed of pasta that has been tossed in a creamy chipotle sauce in this flavorful dish.
I want to tell you a secret. Only my family and a few close friends know this secret. Okay, here it goes. I don’t like chicken. 🙁 *Cring* I can hear the gasps now! “How can you not like chicken?” is the response I normally get. I don’t have a good answer, except to say I try. I really do.
My sweet, patient husband tries to help by developing recipes he thinks I will like that include chicken as an ingredient. That’s how Smoky Chipotle Chicken Pasta came about.
I’m a huge fan of pasta with cream sauce. One day while browsing Amazon, I came across a tube of Olo Chipotle Paste and ordered it. When it arrived, the first thing I thought was how great it would be to make a chipotle pasta, and then I thought maybe, just maybe, I could manage to eat some chicken with it.
John was excited to give it a try, so he came up with this recipe. I have to say; I love this pasta (including the chicken). It’s light, smoky, and has a touch of heat. I can’t wait to have it again sometime.
How to Make Chipotle Chicken Pasta:
Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside.
Season both sides of the chicken with your favorite spices or seasonings. We used one teaspoon of homemade taco seasoning. Next, grill the chicken on a cast iron pan, griddle, or outside grill. We grilled ours on a stove top cast iron griddle. After the chicken cooks, set it aside and allow it to cool for a few minutes before slicing. Just before you get ready to serve the pasta, slice the chicken into several pieces or bite-sized pieces.
Make the Chipotle Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat then add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes to eliminate any raw flour flavor. Next add the chipotle paste, chipotle powder, and salt. Carefully pour in the half and half and stir to ensure the spices mix evenly.
Allow the mixture to began to steam but not boil. Slowly add the shredded pepper jack cheese while whisking. Continue to whisk until all the cheese melts. Add additional salt to taste. Toss the cooked pasta in the chipotle sauce to coat. Place the pasta on a plate and top with sliced chicken.
Smoky Chipotle Chicken Pasta
- 4 ounces cooked pasta (fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti)
- 2 medium chicken breast (3-4 ounces)
- Mexican spices/seasonings for chicken (We used homemade taco seasoning.)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Season chicken and grill until cooked completely (about 6-7 minutes each side depending on thickness).
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes to allow any raw flour flavor to cook out.
- Add the chipotle paste, chipotle powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Carefully add the half and half and heat until the mixture begins to steam but not boil.
- Add the pepper jack cheese a little at a time while whisking. Make sure the cheese melts completely and continue to heat until warm but not boiling. Add more salt to taste.
- Toss the cooked pasta in the chipotle sauce to coat.
- Place the pasta on plates and top with sliced chicken.