*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Need a quick dinner idea that’s delicious and filling? Then try our chicken pesto pasta! Seasoned chicken tossed with pesto sauce, onions, and tomatoes.
About a week ago we shared our Instant Pot pesto chicken pasta. It’s quick, simple and tasty!
Our readers seemed to enjoy the dish. Today, we’re sharing a stove-top version.
The only real difference is in the preparation method. So, if your craving a no-fail pasta dish, then we’ve definitely got you covered.
Shall we get started?
Equipment Needed for Recipe:
How to make chicken pesto pasta?
- First, start by slicing the red onions and halving or quartering the tomatoes. Set them aside.
- After that, pick any type of pasta you enjoy and cook it per the box instructions. Drain it, then set it aside.
- Next, grab a large skillet and place it over low-medium heat. Meanwhile, go ahead and season the chicken with the Italian spices.
- You can add the salt and pepper to the chicken now, or at the end of the dish. Personally, I always add it before it cooks.
- Now, add the oil and chicken to the pan. Let the meat cook for about seven (7) minutes on each side or until the chicken is done.
- Then, remove the poultry from the pan and set it aside. It needs to rest for about ten (10) minutes before cutting it into bite-sized pieces.
- Afterward, while the meat rests, add the onions to the hot pan and let them cook for about four (4) minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- I recommend using the residual heat from the pan to warm up your pesto sauce.
- At this point, the chicken should okay to cut into chunks. Once done, grab a large pan or mixing bowl.
- It’s time to combine the chicken, noodles, onions, pesto sauce, pine nuts and tomatoes.
- Last, give everything a good toss with a pair of tongs. Serve the dish as-is, or with any extra toppings you desire.
That’s it, your pesto pasta with chicken is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
- To save time, feel free to use leftover chicken or even rotisserie chicken from a local deli. That way, you don’t have to cook the meat.
- You can use your favorite store-bought pesto sauce or our homemade creamy pesto sauce recipe.
- This pasta dish can be served hot or cold. Whether your craving a warm pasta dinner or a cold pasta salad, this recipe can used to satisfy either situation.
Looking for more pasta recipes?
- Tomato Pasta with Fresh Basil and Garlic
- Weeknight Lemon Basil Pasta
- Shrimp and Pasta Recipe
- Ricotta Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells
Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 8 Ounces Dry Pasta (any type you like, cooked, drained)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Lb. Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless, cutlets)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (or purple, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Grape Tomatoes (or cherry, halved)
- 4 Ounces Pesto Sauce (jarred or homemade)
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- Bring a large pot with salted water to boil, then add the pasta noodles. Cook until they are soft but still have a bit of a bite left (al dente). Drain the water, rinse the pasta in cool (not cold) water, drain again, and set aside. While the pasta cooks, prepare the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. While the skillet heats, season both sides of the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the oil into the hot skillet, then add the chicken. Cook the chicken for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Remove the chicken from the pan, and transfer to a waiting plate. Let the chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes then cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Add the onions to the same pan where the chicken was cooked. Cook the onions for 3 to 5 minutes until softened. Remove from heat and use the hot pan to warm your pesto sauce.
- In a large pan or bowl, combine the cooked noodles, chicken, onions, tomatoes, pesto sauce, and pine nuts. Top extra toppings if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator (in a sealed container) for up to 3 days.
Extra Cherry Tomatoes
Extra Pine Nuts
Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese