It’s summertime, and that means one thing – it’s time for milkshakes! This classic Strawberry Milkshake is easy to make and absolutely delicious. Fresh strawberries mixed with strawberry ice cream and milk for a creamy, fruity, and refreshing make a drink that is perfect for a hot day.
Easy Strawberry Milkshake
But one of our favorite ways to use strawberries is by making a thick and creamy strawberry milkshake! This recipe uses strawberry ice cream along with fresh strawberries for an intense strawberry flavor that transports you right to summer.
Blend it up with milk and you’ve got a sippable creamy dessert that’s perfect to enjoy at a summer BBQ or as a sweet and tasty dessert. So whether you’re looking for a refreshing summertime treat or a delicious dessert, this strawberry milkshake recipe is sure to hit the spot!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A great way to use in-season strawberries.
- This milkshake is made with just 5 ingredients you can find anywhere.
- It’s not too heavy which makes it a perfect option for enjoying in the warm weather.
- This classic milkshake is enjoyed by both kids and adults.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Strawberry Ice Cream – Adds a rich creamy thickness to the base layer along with sweet strawberry flavor.
- Milk – Thins out the milkshake while keeping it creamy and sippable.
- Fresh Strawberries – Adds additional pink color and fresh strawberry flavor to this dessert.
- Granulated Sugar – Your milkshake may already be sweet enough, but just in case it’s not, feel free to add some granulated sugar to the blender to help sweeten it up.
- Whipped Cream – Gives this shake a classic creamy froth on top.
How To Make A Homemade Strawberry Milkshake
- Prepare the ingredients: Thoroughly wash the strawberries and cut off the stems. You can chop them into smaller pieces so they blend easier. Leave the ice cream out on the counter for 10 minutes to ensure it can be scooped easily.
- Add to blender: To a blender, add the prepared strawberries, ice cream, milk, and sugar if used.
- Blend and serve: Start by pulsing the blender to quickly break up the ingredients, then gradually bring the speed higher and blend until a smooth and creamy milkshake is formed. Pour into glasses, then top with whipped cream and serve.
Strawberry Shake Tips
- Vanilla ice cream can be substituted for strawberry ice cream. It will decrease the strawberry flavor slightly, so you may want to increase the number of strawberries used.
- Frozen strawberries can be used, but they need to sit at room temperature for a few minutes until they begin to soften slightly. This makes them easier to blend into the ice cream.
- We used a “Slow Churn” variety of ice cream which makes for a thinner milkshake. For a thicker milkshake, use regular, full-fat ice cream.
- Adjust the amount of milk to make the milkshake as thick or as thinned out as you’d like.
- To make this recipe vegan, use a non-dairy ice cream and milk alternative such as cashew milk ice cream and oat milk.
- For an adult boozy version, add a shot of vodka or rum.
- Add other kinds of berries to the mix including raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries.
- Chocolate and strawberry is always a classic flavor combination. Add in some chocolate chips or a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
If you don’t have a blender, try using a food processor or an immersion blender. Just blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to add more milk to thin it out.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: This strawberry milkshake is best served immediately as it will begin to melt quickly.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing. This milkshake is best enjoyed immediately.
Strawberry MilkshakePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 4 cups strawberry ice cream approximately 8 scoops
- 1 ½ – 2 cups milk *See note
- 1 ½ cups strawberries fresh, hulled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar optional
- Whipped cream for topping
- In a blender, combine ice cream, milk, strawberries, and sugar (if using) until well blended.4 cups strawberry ice cream1 ½ – 2 cups milk1 ½ cups strawberries2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pour into glasses, and top with whipped cream. Enjoy immediately.Whipped cream