All it takes is 3 simple ingredients to make delicious Strawberry Simple Syrup right at home! Fresh strawberries, sugar, and water, and that’s it. A few minutes on the stove and you’ve got a sweet, fruity syrup that’s SO perfect for cocktails, lemonade, tea, mocktails, or even to drizzle over pancakes, pastries, and more!
Strawberry Simple Syrup
Strawberry season is here and this recipe for homemade Strawberry Simple Syrup is just the thing to start taking advantage of those fresh berries at the market. This recipe couldn’t be easier with just three ingredients and a few minutes simmering on the stove.
Simple syrup is a staple of a well stocked bar cart and making it fresh can take your creations to the next level! Not only great in alcoholic libations, strawberry simple syrup can amp up any of your favorite teas, make a glass of strawberry milk, or even strawberry lemonade. You can even add it to seltzer or a soda to create a strawberry infused fizzy treat!
Let this syrup simmer longer to create a more traditional style syrup and use it on pancakes, waffles, biscuits, or whatever you would regularly use maple syrup on. Drizzle it over a lemon pound cake or a tray of lemon squares for the ultimate sweet and sour combination. The possibilities are truly endless!
How to Make Strawberry Simple Syrup
- Add the hulled, sliced strawberries, granulated sugar, and water into a large saucepan or pot. Heat over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Stir to combine and allow the sugar to dissolve and the strawberries to soften up.
- Once the strawberries begin to soften, use a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash the strawberries into a pulp.
- Bring to a low simmer, watching carefully, as the mixture will expand in volume. Continue cooking and stirring for 10-15 minutes then remove from heat.
- Pour the syrup through a mesh strainer into a heat safe container.
- Let the simple syrup cool before transferring it to the refrigerator.
- Use in your favorite cocktails, tea, or lemonade, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- You can use this same recipe to create a myriad of simple syrup flavors. Try it with peaches, raspberries, blueberries, or whatever your favorite fruit is!
- If you want to add even more flavor, you can infuse it with mint, lavender, or even chilis for a spicy kick!
- If you can’t get your hands on fresh strawberries, you can use frozen.
- If you need to chill the syrup faster you can place the container in ice water as opposed to letting it chill in the refrigerator for a couple hours.
- For a thicker syrup, to use on pastries or pancakes, let the syrup simmer for longer to allow it to thicken up. Starting with less water is a great option, too!
Storage: You can store homemade Strawberry Simple Syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Freezing: Freeze this simple syrup by pouring it into ice cubes then transferring the ice cubes to a large bag or container until ready to use.
- 8 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 2 cups granulated sugar (*See note)
- 1 cup water
- Place the strawberries, sugar, and water in a large saucepan over low heat. Stir to combine and allow the sugar to dissolve and the strawberries to soften, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon or potato masher to mash the strawberries as they begin to soften. Continue mashing the strawberries until they’ve turned to a pulp.
- Bring to a low simmer while watching carefully. The mixture will expand in volume quite a bit. Continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes then remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer into a heat safe container.
- Allow the syrup to cool before transferring to the refrigerator.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 ounce. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Taste the strawberries ahead of time and adjust the sugar if necessary. Some strawberries are sweeter than others.
*This syrup will boil over very quickly, even at a simmer, so don't leave it unattended.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 62Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 0g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.