Lemon poppy seed bread is sweet, tangy, and so delicious! Add the optional lemon glaze to create the perfect dessert bread.
Lemon poppy seed bread or lemon poppyseed bread, no matter how you spell it, the outcome is still the same.
A scrumptious dessert bread recipe that can round out any meal. For today, we’re sharing our lemon poppy seed bread from scratch.
That mean’s you’re going to create a lemon bread without cake mix. On top of that, Kim has included a lemon glaze recipe you’re sure to love.
So, let’s get started!
How to make lemon poppy seed bread?
First, preheat the oven to 350° F, and spray the loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
After that, grab a large mixing bowl and add the flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds.
Use a whisk or fork to combine the dry ingredients.
Next, in a separate mixing bowl, use your whisk or a hand mixer to combine the sugar, oil, milk, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
Now, add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredients.
I recommend using your whisk or rubber spatula to combine everything.
Then, once everything is mixed, transfer it to the loaf pan.
The batter should be a little runny, but that will ensure it’s a moist lemon poppy seed bread.
Last, place the filled loaf pan into the oven to bake for about fifty (50) minutes or until it passes the, “toothpick,” test.
When the dessert bread is done, wait about five (5) minutes before removing it from the pan.
Also, wait until it has come to room temperature before slicing the loaf. Otherwise, it may crumble and fall apart if it’s too hot.
That’s it, your easy lemon poppy seed bread recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy this dessert and wish you all the best 🙂
How to make an easy lemon glaze?
All you need to do is whisk together one (1) cup of powdered sugar, two (2) tablespoons lemon juice, and one (1) teaspoon of vanilla extract in a small mixing bowl.
Drizzle the glaze over the finished and cooled lemon bread and serve. Keep in mind the bread will absorb the glaze over time.
So, you may want to keep it separate and pour the glaze over each serving. Either way, it’s delicious no matter how you serve it!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lemon Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar (or more for thicker glaze)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Warm milk or water as needed (for a thinner glaze)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and whisk in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- In a second bowl, combine the milk, eggs, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the surface cracks and has a golden color. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean when the bread is cooked through.
- While the bread bakes, make the lemon glaze. Combine the powdered sugar with the lemon juice. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. If needed, add warm water one tablespoon at a time until the desired texture is reached. For a thicker glaze add more powdered sugar.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes before removing it from the pan and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After the bread cools completely, drizzle with the lemon-sugar glaze.
- Slice and serve. See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 slice of bread. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
*Adjust the cooking time accordingly depending on your oven and loaf pan.
*Photos courtesy of Shannen Siramarco Photography.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 5g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.