*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Our chicken potato soup features tender chicken and diced potatoes simmered in a broth flavored with carrots, celery, onions, and spices.
Fall is still a few weeks away but we’ve started on some new Fall recipes for the site.
Kim and I plan sharing at least one warm and comforting meal every week.
For today, we’re sharing our chicken and potato soup without milk.
Kim took a traditional chicken noodle soup and replaced the noodles with hearty diced potatoes.
It’s a whole meal served in a bowl. Personally, I like to enjoy my soup with homemade cornbread muffins.
However, it’s just as tasty with regular saltine crackers. The recipe takes about 1.5 hours to complete.
But, you’re making homemade soup, so it’s worth it. Shall we get started?
How to make chicken potato soup from scratch?
First, grab a large stock pot or Dutch oven and place it over low-medium heat. Add the oil to the pan and let it warm up.
Afterward, dump in the chopped carrots, celery, and onion. Let the mixture cook for about 8-minutes or until the veggies are soft.
Next, add the minced garlic and let it cook for about 30-seconds.
At this point, you can toss in the bay leaves, salt, pepper, thyme, chicken broth, and chicken meat.
Now, increase the heat to medium and let the chicken soup cook for about 45-minutes.
Keep an eye on it, if the liquid gets too low, add more broth. Then, carefully add in the diced potatoes.
After that, let the chicken potato soup cook for 20-minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken can be shredded.
Last, remove the chicken from the pot and use two forks to shred it. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
Put the chicken back into the pot, stir the soup, and serve hot.
That’s it, the recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy it and wish you all the best 🙂
Store any leftovers in a sealed container, in your fridge for 3-days.
- If you chop or dice the chicken before hand, then you don’t have to shred it later.
- Feel free to use 1/2 tsp. dried thyme in place of the fresh thyme. Then you don’t have to fish out the sprigs later on.
- Once cooled, the chicken potato soup can be frozen. When properly stored, it will last about 3-months in your freezer.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 2 Large Carrots, sliced into circles (about ¼ inch thick)
- 2 Celery Stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 Large White Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1.5 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Pound Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat two tablespoons of olive oil or butter over low-medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook the vegetables for 7 to 8 minutes until they begin to soften and the onions become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Next, add the bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and chicken breast. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 40 to 50 minutes. Add the potatoes, and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken can be shredded with a fork.
- Remove the chicken breast to a waiting plate and use two forks to shred. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves, then return the shredded chicken to the pot. Stir to combine. Serve hot. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of about 1-cup of chicken potato soup. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1.5 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 698mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.