*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Need a tasty weeknight dinner but don’t think you have time to cook? Think again, our fiesta chicken casserole is delicious, filling, and done in no time!
Weeknights can be exhausting. You’ve been at work all day and you just want something simple for dinner, right?
Well. then you’ve come to the right place. Kim has put together a quick and simple chicken casserole that everyone will love.
Tender cooked chicken combined with Tex-Mex spices and topped off with melted cheese. You can’t go wrong with a combo like that.
So, shall we get started?
How to make fiesta chicken casserole?
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a nine (9) by thirteen (13) inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Next, cook the pasta until it is al dente or almost done. While the pasta cooks, grab a large glass mixing bowl.
After that, use a rubber spatula to combine the sour cream, taco seasoning, salsa, and green chiles.
Then, once the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the sour cream mixture. Toss in the chicken, corn, black beans, and one (1) cup of the cheese.
Now, use your spatula to combine all the ingredients together. Afterward, pour everything into your casserole dish.
Top the ingredients off with the remaining cheese. Cover the pan with foil and place it into the oven.
Let it bake for twenty (20) minutes. Remove the foil and place it back into the oven to bake for another five (5) minutes.
Last, remove the chicken casserole from the oven and serve it while it’s still warm and cheesy.
That’s it, your fiesta chicken casserole is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
Do I need to cover a casserole in the oven?
The short answer is yes. It will keep the dish from drying out in the oven. For example, if you baked our fiesta chicken casserole without covering it first, then the cheese would burn and the pasta would dry out.
What do you eat with chicken casserole?
It depends on the casserole. For a Tex-Mex chicken casserole, then I would recommend Mexican or Spanish rice.
On the other hand, for a regular chicken casserole, then I would recommend corn or green beans. Keep it simple!
Looking for more Tex-Mex Ideas?
Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- 8 Ounces Short Pasta (rotini, penne, etc.)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Chunky Salsa
- 7 Ounces Green Chiles (one ((1)) can)
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning (or one ((1)) packet)
- 2 Cups Chicken (pre-cooked: rotisserie, canned, etc.)
- 15 Ounces Corn (one ((1)) can, drained)
- 15 Ounces Black Beans (one ((1)) can, drained, rinsed if desired)
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded and divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta noodles to al dente (until they had a sight bite). Drain the pasta, and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, combine the sour cream, taco seasoning, salsa, and green chiles in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked pasta, chicken, corn, and black beans, if using, and 1 cup of the cheese to the sour cream mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Cover tightly with foil, and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, and garnish with green onions, diced tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, or avocados. Serve hot.
- Store any leftover casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.