If you’re looking for an easy chicken casserole recipe that is packed full of flavor, then this Fiesta Chicken Casserole is the dish for you. With just a few simple ingredients like chicken, pasta, cheese, and spices, you can create a delicious Mexican chicken casserole that will rival any restaurant dish!
Weeknights can be exhausting. Most likely, you’ve been at work all day or spent the day with kids and family and you just want something simple for dinner. This Fiesta Chicken Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal. It’s easy to make and it’s loaded with flavor.
All you need is cooked chicken, pasta, and a few simple ingredients like cheese and spices! Fiesta chicken casserole is a bit different from our Chicken Noodle Casserole that’s more of a savory, Southern dish, but it’s just as tasty. It’s more of a cross between that and our Green Chile Chicken Casserole which is even more delicious!
All you’ll need to do is combine all of the ingredients, top it with cheese, and bake until everything is warmed through and the cheese is melted and you’ll have a well-rounded dinner the whole family will love!
How To Make Chicken Fiesta Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan or casserole dish. Set aside.
- Combine the sour cream, cream cheese, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chili powder in a large bowl.
- Stir in the salsa until combined. Then add the chicken, corn, beans, and half of the cheese. Then gently toss in the pasta.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and spread it an even layer. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve with fresh pico de gallo, sour cream, freshly chopped green onions, and lime wedges if desired. Enjoy!
- Make sure to cover the fiesta chicken casserole with foil while it bakes. Otherwise, it will dry out and the texture will be unappealing.
- Don’t overcook the noodles, because they’ll continue to soak up the excess liquid in the sauce as the casserole cooks. The noodles need to be a bit underdone, so they’re able to soak up the liquid properly.
- If you don’t have all of the spices on hand, try using a taco or fajita seasoning packet.
- You can use pre-cooked chicken from a rotisserie chicken to save you time in the kitchen.
- Adjust the seasonings and spices to your own personal tastes.
- This chicken casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd! Just double the recipe and bake it in a large baking dish.
- Swap out the rotini noodles for another short noodle like penne, ziti, or rigatoni.
- Top with some sliced black olives, diced avocados, or tomatoes for an extra layer of flavor.
- Add some diced jalapenos or a 10 ounce can of hot Ro-tel for a kick of heat.
- Use your favorite cheese(s). We love colby jack, but some other great options are Monterey Jack, pepper jack, sharp cheddar, or a taco cheese blend.
- Instead of chicken, try using cooked ground beef, pork or turkey.
- Looking for a vegetarian version? Try using extra black beans and corn in place of chicken.
Yes, you can! Just follow the instructions up until baking and then cover with foil and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking.
The best way to reheat this chicken casserole is using the oven. Preheat to 350°F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. You can also microwave it in a covered dish on half power for about five minutes, stirring halfway through.
Yes, just make sure you use a gluten-free pasta and check the labels on the rest of your ingredients.
Storing and Freezing
Storing: Fiesta chicken casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat using the microwave or oven.
Freezing: This casserole can be frozen in an airtight container for up to two months. Just make sure it is removed from the casserole dish and placed in a sealed freezer bag or airtight container. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat using the microwave or oven.
Fiesta Chicken CasserolePrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces block-style cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded (We used rotisserie chicken.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can golden sweet corn drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces Colby jack cheese shredded off the block
- 10 ounces rotini pasta cooked
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan or casserole dish.
- Combine the sour cream, cream cheese, cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and chili powder in a large bowl.1 cup sour cream4 ounces block-style cream cheese1 teaspoon ground cumin1 teaspoon onion powder1 teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon kosher salt½ teaspoon chili powder½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir in the salsa until combined. Then add the chicken, corn, beans and half of the cheese.1 cup salsa2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts1 (15 ounce) can golden sweet corn1 (15 ounce) can black beans8 ounces Colby jack cheese
- Gently toss in the pasta. Then pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and spread it an even layer.10 ounces rotini pasta
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted on top.
- Serve with fresh pico de gallo, sour cream, freshly chopped green onions and lime wedges if desired.
- See post for storage options.