This post is sponsored by McCormick® but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Gingerbread Cake is a classic dessert that can be made from Thanksgiving all the way through New Years. This cake comes together quickly and is a cinch to make.
Baking is a huge part of the holiday season. We usually start baking in late October and go all the way through late December into January.
Gingerbread cake is another holiday favorite that we don’t make often enough. It comes together in minutes, bakes up beautifully, and doesn’t require separate frosting unless you’d like to add homemade whipped topping.
Ingredients Needed for Gingerbread Cake:
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Mild-Flavored Molasses
1 Teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons McCormick Ground Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons McCormick Ground Ginger
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon McCormick Ground Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Hot Water
How to Make Gingerbread Cake:
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees, and greasing a 9 x 9 – inch cake pan. Set it aside while you mix the ingredients.
Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar until it’s fluffy. This takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add the eggs, molasses, and vanilla.
Continue to mix on low speed until combined. Add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, cloves, and salt next.
Mix until the flour is just combined, but don’t over mix. Carefully pour in the hot water, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir into the batter.
Transfer the batter into the greased cake pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. The cake will spring back when touched in the center.
Tips on Making the Best Gingerbread Cake Recipe:
Make sure to use fresh, flavorful spices. McCormick® offers all the spices you need for this recipe, and they are found in the baking/spices aisle of your local Walmart store.
Don’t overmix the batter; otherwise, the gluten in the flour will get overworked causing an unpleasant texture in the batter.
To make gingerbread cake extra moist, consider adding ½ cup of applesauce to the batter.
We like this cake with a dollop of homemade whipped cream. However, it can be enjoyed plain or with a layer of cream cheese frosting.
Gingerbread Cake can be enjoyed throughout the holiday season. Don’t forget to grab the McCormick® spices during your next Walmart trip. Be sure to check out their other extracts and gravies for your holiday cooking needs.
Looking for other holiday recipes?
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, (softened)
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup Mild-Flavored Molasses
- 1 Teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons McCormick Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoons McCormick Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Hot Water
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch square cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg, molasses, and vanilla. Continue to mix until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Next, add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Then, carefully add the hot water.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The center should spring back when you touch it.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of one (1) slice of gingerbread cake. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 432mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g