Jalapeño Popper Wontons are a party favorite appetizer that everyone loves! Little wonton cups are stuffed with a seasoned cream cheese mixture that features jalapeños and bacon. It’s all topped off with cheddar cheese and baked to gooey perfection… Consider making a double batch, because this stuff goes quick!
Do you also love the touch of heat that jalapeños lend without making everything too spicy? Same here! Indulge in your favorite pepper with recipes like Jalapeño Popper Bread and Jalapeño Bacon Mac and Cheese.
Jalapeño Popper Wontons
It’s football season! Kickstart your game day parties with appetizers like these Jalapeño Popper Wontons. They’re a little spicy, super creamy, and perfectly cheesy.
Basically, it’s everything you love about a jalapeño popper all baked into one handheld little wonton cup! These homemade appetizers are so easy to make and always go fast, so you may want to consider making a double batch if you have a crowd coming over.
I mean really, who doesn’t love ingredients like cream cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese and jalapeños all together in one perfect, lightly crunchy bite?
How to Make Jalapeño Popper Wontons
This easy appetizer recipe should take you around 30 minutes or less not counting the time it takes to cook the bacon. It’s perfect for prepping just before your guests arrive!
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in the seasonings.
- Fold in the jalapeños and bacon.
- Push the wonton wrappers into the prepared tins.
- Bake the wrappers by themselves at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into each wonton cup and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for another 10-12 minutes.
Tips for the Best Jalapeño Popper Wontons
- Want to make these even spicier? Keep the jalapeño seeds in the mix! That’s where you’ll find the majority of the heat in the pepper.
- While you can swap the pork bacon for turkey bacon, we find that regular pork bacon lends the best flavor.
- It’s VERY important to shred the cheddar cheese right off the block! It not only helps the cheese melt so much easier, it also tastes so much better than the packaged shredded stuff.
- This appetizer recipe takes very little time to prepare. Cut the time even more by using fully cooked bacon that just needs to be heated slightly.
Storage: You can keep any leftovers you have fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just make sure you keep it all stored in an airtight container.
Why do I have to bake the wontons first?
Baking the wonton wrappers first by themselves makes them nice and crispy! If you try to stuff them and bake them all at the same time without baking them alone first, they’ll get very soggy on the bottom and lose that desired crunchy consistency.
Can I freeze Jalapeño Popper Wontons?
I don’t recommend it. Because of the creamy middles and cheesy tops, these warm and gooey appetizers are best served nice and fresh. They don’t thaw or reheat very well from frozen.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, deseeded and diced (about ¼ cup once diced)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 12 to 20 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded off the block
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. Then mix in the garlic powder, onion powder and salt.8 ounces block-style cream cheese½ teaspoon garlic powder½ teaspoon onion powder¼ teaspoon salt
- Fold in the jalapeños and bacon then set aside.1 to 2 jalapeños6 slices bacon
- Gently push the wonton wrappers into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.12 to 20 wonton wrappers
- Spoon 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture into the wonton cups then sprinkle the tops with cheddar cheese.1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and the wonton wrappers start to crisp up.
- If you have left over filling, repeat the baking process with as many wrappers as needed then serve.
- Serve warm! See post for tips and storage options.