This easy Frozen Peanut Butter Pie is made with simple ingredients and can be assembled in just 10 minutes or less. A great no-bake dessert that’s perfect for summertime or any peanut butter lover!
This decadent dessert is definitely a favorite in our house. I've been making it for over a decade and we never get tired of it. Peanut butter is one of our favorite flavors, and this pie has plenty of it!
If you need a dessert that comes together quickly and doesn’t use the oven, you’ll want to hang onto this one. A decadent filling is made by mixing peanut butter, cream cheese, and sugar together. It’s then fluffed up with some whipped topping and placed into a premade pie crust.
It sits in the freezer until it’s set and ready to serve. This peanut butter pie is a great treat to make when you don’t want to turn on your oven in the summer months. We love to switch between it, pink lemonade pie or Irish coffee pie, and sometimes we'll throw in a grasshopper pie or lemon icebox pie, too.
You could also make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer until you’re ready to go! Top it with some chocolate syrup or candied nuts for a decadent treat that everyone will enjoy.
How To Make Frozen Peanut Butter Pie
- In a mixer, add the peanut butter, room temperature cream cheese, and powdered sugar. Mix until the filling is smooth and creamy.
- As the filling is mixing, pour in the milk until combined. Then turn the mixer off and gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Transfer the filling from the mixing bowl to the pie crust and smooth out until evenly distributed.
- Place the peanut butter pie in the freezer for 4-6 hours or until it’s completely set. Before serving, let it thaw on the counter for 10 minutes or until it can be sliced easily.
- When working with cream cheese, make sure it is at room temperature before adding to the mixing bowl. This will help the filling come together smoothly.
- Do not use the mixer for the whipped topping. The whipped topping helps to aerate the filling which gives it a light and fluffy texture. Mixing it with the mixture will decrease the air.
- Before serving, this pie needs to be completely set in the freezer otherwise it will not slice well. Make it at least 4-6 hours before serving for best results.
- If you can’t find a premade graham cracker crust, simply mix 12 crushed graham crackers with ¼ cup of sugar and 6 tablespoon of melted butter, then press into a pie pan and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- If you’re using any toppings that need to stick to the pie, make sure they are added before the peanut butter pie goes into the freezer.
Peanut Butter Pie Variations
- For a rich chocolate flavor, use a chocolate graham cracker crust.
- If you like your peanut butter with a bit of texture, feel free to use chunky peanut butter instead of creamy.
- Fold in chunks of banana or your favorite fruit to add a fresh fruit twist to the pie.
Serving and Freezing
Serving: When you’re ready to serve, remove the peanut butter pie from the freezer and set it on the countertop for about 10 minutes or until the filling is easily sliced. Once everyone is served, return it back to the freezer to keep the filling set.
Freezing: You can store this peanut butter pie in the freezer for up to 3 months. Once it’s completely set, tightly wrap it in plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. If it sits in the freezer longer than 24 hours, it may need about 15 minutes to thaw enough for serving.
Can I make peanut butter pie without cream cheese?
You can use Italian mascarpone cheese or plant-based cream cheese made from nuts as a substitute for cream cheese in this recipe.
What if I can’t find whipped topping?
While it may be harder to find whipped topping in some countries, you can use whipped cream or heavy whipping cream as a substitute, just make sure it has a proper amount of time to fully set!
Will natural peanut butter work in this recipe?
Yes! Though natural peanut butter may be less sweet. Adjust the sugar in the filling as necessary.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 4 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed; similar to Cool Whip
- 1 graham cracker crust, homemade or store bought (9-inch crust)
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and peanut butter until smooth and creamy.4 ounces block-style cream cheese½ cup powdered sugar⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- Slowly drizzle in the milk, then fold in the whipped topping.¼ cup milk8 ounces whipped topping
- Transfer the filling to the graham cracker crust.1 graham cracker crust
- Freeze for 3 to 4 hours or until completely set. When ready to serve, allow the pie to thaw at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing.