Grasshopper Pie is light, fluffy, and full of chocolate and mint flavors. The filling comes together in about 10 minutes, and it makes a great no-bake dessert!
This grasshopper pie is right up his alley. It’s an easy, no-bake dessert that’s made with only a few ingredients.
It starts with a chocolate cookie crust and has a marshmallow whipped cream filling flavored with crème de menthe liqueur. Top it with more crumbled cookies, and you have a light, flavorful chocolate mint pie that’s super simple and tasty!
How to Make a Grasshopper Pie:
Most of the time, I make our cookie crusts and graham cracker crusts from scratch. However, you can cut out about 35 to 40 minutes if you purchase a pre-made, 9-inch chocolate cookie crust at the store.
To make the crust, place 25 chocolate cookies with their cream filling into a food processor, and pulse until the cookies become a fine crumb. Something similar to an original Oreo or off-brand Oreo will work.
Pour the crumbs into a bowl, and add the melted butter. Stir the two ingredients together until the crumbs are well moistened.
Transfer the buttered crumbs into a 9-inch pie plate, and use a heavy-bottomed glass or ramekin to press them into an even layer and up the sides of the dish.
Refrigerate or freeze the crust for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer with a whisk attachment to beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
In a separate, large bowl, use a hand mixer with the beater attachments to combine marshmallow cream and crème de menthe. The mixture will be slightly thick and sticky due to the marshmallow.
Gently fold the whipped cream into the marshmallow mixture until well combined. The texture will be light and fluffy.
Carefully, scoop the mint filling into the chilled cookie crust. Use a knife or spatula to smooth out the filling.
If desired, crush additional chocolate cookies and sprinkle them over the top. Refrigerate the pie for 4 to 6 hours before serving, or freeze for 3 to 4 hours.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer.
Can grasshopper pie be made with marshmallows in place of marshmallow crème?
Yes, marshmallows can be used instead of using marshmallow crème. Here’s a recipe for grasshopper pie that’s slightly different and uses regular-sized marshmallows.
Should grasshopper pie be frozen?
This pie can be enjoyed refrigerated or frozen. However, the texture and integrity of the pie is much better frozen. It holds up better to slicing and the crust isn’t quite as crumbly.
The best way to cut a frozen grasshopper pie is to run a sharp knife under hot water and dry it briefly. Cut the pie, then repeat as needed.
Does grasshopper pie contain alcohol?
The crème de menthe in the pie does contain alcohol.
To make the pie without alcohol, omit the crème de menthe. Add green food coloring and mint extract to achieve the desired amount of mint flavor.
Other pies you may love:
- 25 Chocolate Crème Filled Cookies (something similar to original Oreos)
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 (7 Ounce) Container Marshmallow Crème
- ¼ Cup Crème de Menthe
To Make the Crust:
- Place the chocolate cookies with crème filling in a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer the crumbs to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter, and stir to combine. Place the crumbs in a 9-inch pie dish, and use the bottom of a ramekin or heavy glass to press the crumbs in an even layer and up the sides.
- Place the pie dish in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to add the filling.
To Pie Filling:
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the marshmallow crème and crème de menthe until well combined. Then, fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or freeze for 3 to 4 hours. Garnish with additional crushed cookies or whipped cream if desired.
- Serve cold, and refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 slice (⅛ of the pie). Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 499Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.