Tired of going to the pub for grub? Then try our beer cheese dip recipe instead. It combines cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheeses with your favorite beer.
*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
We published this dip recipe back in January of 2017. It was during a time when we were still trying to find our niche.
A lot has changed since then, so Kim and I decided to republish it with a fresh coat of paint, so to speak.
The recipe itself is fine, however, the post needed to be rewritten so the instructions would be easier to follow.
So, shall we get started on the dip?
How to Make Beer Cheese Dip:
To get started, you’ll need to make a simple, bechamel. Don’t be intimidated, it’s just a fancier version of a blonde roux.
If you’ve thickened gravy with flour and butter, then you can do this. It’s as simple as that!
First, melt the butter in a large skillet or medium saucepan. Heat the pan over medium-low heat.
Next, add the flour and whisk the mixture to combine them together. Then cook everything for three (3) to four (4) minutes. This will be the roux for your cheese dip.
After that, slowly add the beer and whisk in the mustard, garlic powder, and chipotle paste (or powder).
Now, continue to cook the ingredients for six (6) to eight (8) minutes or until all the alcohol is cooked out of the beer.
Afterward, add the half and half and heat the sauce until it begins to steam. Don’t let it come to a boil! It’s time to whisk in the cheese.
Last, sprinkle in both cheeses (a handful at a time). Keep whisking throughout the process so the cheese doesn’t stick to bottom of the skillet.
Once all the cheese is gone, you’re basically done. You can let the dip cook until it reaches a thickness you like. The longer it cooks, the thicker it will become. Just remember to keep stirring or whisking.
That’s it, your done! Serve the beer cheese dip with chips or pretzels or whatever you desire.
Kim and I hope you enjoy the recipe and wish you all the best 🙂
How long does beer cheese dip last in the fridge?
Personally, I use the restaurant industry standard and say it will last three (3) days in your fridge. This is the usual, “hold,” time for dairy based sauces.
Can beer cheese dip be frozen?
Absolutely, it can last at least two (2) weeks in your freezer. Just be sure to heat it slowly over low heat (or microwave on low) when your ready to eat it.
Don’t forget to check out our Beer Cheese Dip web story!
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1/2 Cup Beer, (or ale)
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chipotle Paste, (or powder to taste)
- 8 Ounces Cheddar Cheese, (shredded)
- 4 Ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, (shredded)
- Salt to Taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour, whisk to combine, and cook mixture for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the beer, mustard, garlic powder, and chipotle paste. Whisk to combine and let cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the half and half and heat until the half and half begins to steam but not boil.
- Sprinkle in cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheeses and whisk until it melts. Continue process until all cheese has melted.
- Continue to stir and heat until the cheese dip reaches desired thickness. Add salt to taste and serve with chips, pretzels, etc.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of one-fourth (1/4) of a cup of beer cheese dip. Additionally, the calorie count does NOT include the chips seen in the photos. Actual calories will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 0.25 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 13g