This Frozen Mudslide recipe is the ultimate in boozy dessert drinks. Blended vanilla ice cream, Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur, Kahlua, and vodka take this classic cocktail to the next level.
Have you ever gone to a restaurant and seen those fancy looking frozen cocktails on the drink menu? A frozen mudslide almost always makes an appearance, and it's so tempting to grab one after a meal out.
These cocktails are tasty, but they usually come with a high price tag. We prefer to save a little money and make the same drinks at home.
We tend to keep the basic ingredients on hand for some of our other cocktails like Iced Coffee with Bailey's and Kahlua and Frangelico Coffee. We even have a homemade Irish cream recipe in the even that we run out of the store bought version.
It's easy to whip one of these cocktails up in a couple of minutes if you have the ingredients handy. Plus, it saves you a few dollars on the restaurant tab.
How to make a Frozen Mudslide:
- Start by drizzling a tall glass with chocolate syrup. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
- Just some circular or straight drizzles will work. We have a couple plastic condiment squeeze bottles, so I usually transfer the chocolate syrup to those.
- They have a finer tip, and that makes it easily to control instead of getting globs of syrup from the syrup bottle.
- Next, add the ingredients to a blender. Make sure to use a blender than can handle crushing ice.
- Add the Kahlua, Bailey's, vodka, ice, and vanilla ice cream. Blend until smooth and creamy ensuring no large ice chunks remain.
- Pour the frozen mudslide into the chocolate drizzled glass. If desired top with whipped cream and extra chocolate syrup.
- Serve immediately! You'll want to enjoy this drink quickly, since it contains mostly ice cream and ice. Don't drink it too fast, though. 🙂
- If you'd rather make a mudslide without ice cream, check out this mudslide cocktail served over ice.
Tips and Variations:
- The chocolate syrup is an optional garnish, but it adds a nice touch. Omit if you don't have it handy.
- The same goes for the whipped cream. It's an optional garnish, so it's ok if you want to leave it off. A fun twist would be to add a dollop of Irish Cream Whipped cream instead of regular whipped cream.
- Use an extra handful of ice to make this frozen cocktail super thick.
A frozen mudslide is made with vanilla ice cream, ice, Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur, Kahlua, and vodka.
A regular mudslide cocktail is made with Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur, Kahlua, vodka, and ice.
A White Russian is made with vodka, coffee liqueur and cream served with ice in an Old Fashioned glass. A mudslide can be served on the rocks or frozen and contains Bailey’s and no cream.
Yes! The amount of Bailey’s, Kahlua, or vodka can be reduced, doubled, or omitted entirely. If the amounts are doubled, it will essentially add additional liquid to the drink which could change the consistency of the drink.
If you omit all of the alcohol, you’re essentially just blending ice cream and ice then adding some chocolate syrup. That’s very similar to a milkshake. We’d recommend not omitting all of the alcohol.
A mudslide without ice cream is referred as a mudslide cocktail, a classic mudslide, or mudslide on the rocks. It’s a mixture of Bailey’s, Kahlua, and vodka combined and poured over ice or in a chilled glass.
Absolutely! Chocolate ice cream would taste great in a mudslide. It will change the overall taste of the finished cocktail and will give it a heavier chocolate flavor. Another option would be to add half chocolate and half vanilla ice cream.
Yes, this recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or halved. You’re only limited by the capacity of the blender.
Refrigerator: This drink will stay cold in the fridge for a few minutes, but it will still melt rather quickly. We recommend enjoying this drink immediately.
Freezer: We don't recommend freezing this cocktail.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, about 6 scoops
- 2 cups ice
- 2 ounces Kahlua
- 2 ounces Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 2 ounces vodka
- If desired, drizzle chocolate syrup in a glass. Place all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.2 cups vanilla ice cream2 cups ice2 ounces Kahlua2 ounces Baileys Original Irish Cream2 ounces vodka
- Pour the mudslide into two tall glasses.
- Optional: add whipped cream or chocolate syrup as a topping. Enjoy immediately!