This may just be the easiest pimento cheese recipe you'll ever make! Our Creamy Pimento Cheese is savory, cheesy and full of pimento peppers and only takes minutes to make.
Many families enjoy pimento cheese as a go-to holiday snack, a picnic side dish, or an everyday appetizer. It's practically a kitchen staple in some households. Serve up some creamy pimento cheese on a tasty Pimento Cheese Sandwich, as a side alongside a Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwich, or use it in a Jalapeño Cheese Ball.
How to Make Creamy Pimento Cheese:
- Place the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and onion powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the ingredients until well mixed and creamy.
- Next, add the shredded cheddar cheese and pimento peppers. Take a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon and combine all the ingredients.
- After mixing the pimento cheese, taste it and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with your favorite crackers, vegetables or toasted baguette slices.
How to Make Pimento Cheese with Smoked Gouda:
- Follow the same directions as you would for the creamy pimento cheese.
- Add 8 ounces of shredded smoked gouda in addition to the 8 ounces of shredded cheese. This will give the pimento cheese a thicker, less creamy, consistency.
- Another option would be to use 4 ounces of smoked gouda and 4 ounces of cheddar. Or, use 4 ounces of smoked gouda and 8 ounces of cheddar.
- The pimento cheese will continue to thickener as you add more cheese. Additionally, gouda tastes much stronger than cheddar and can alter the taste of the dish.
Tips and Variations:
- Make this creamy pimento cheese spicy by adding diced jalapeños or green chiles.
- Add an additional can of pimento peppers for extra pimento flavor!
- Use your favorite variety cheddar cheese (mild, medium, sharp, or extra sharp). Any would taste amazing!
- We used full-fat cream cheese and full-fat mayo for this recipe and have not tested the recipe with low-fat or fat free ingredients.
To make this recipe super creamy, place all the ingredients into a bowl and use a hand mixer to combine. The mixer helps break down the cheese and pimentos so they're smooth and creamy. For an even creamier version, add an extra tablespoon or two of mayo!
Storage: Store creamy pimento cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: We do not recommend freezing this recipe.
Like This Recipe?
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded off the block (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces jarred pimentos, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and onion powder into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat on medium speed until creamy and smooth.8 ounces block-style cream cheese¼ cup mayonnaise¼ teaspoon garlic powder¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Add the cheddar cheese and pimentos, and use a spatula or spoon to combine. Taste, and add salt and pepper to taste.8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese4 ounces jarred pimentosSalt and pepper
- Serve with crackers, toasted baguette slices, celery or carrot sticks.
- See post for storage options.