*This post may contain affiliate links. As Amazon Associates we earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot White Rice – A quick, easy, and foolproof way to make plain white rice in the Instant Pot. No more mushy, overdone or crunchy, under-cooked rice. Preparing rice in the Instant Pot makes it perfect every time.
Does anyone else have problems making white rice? I’ve always said white rice and pie crusts from scratch are the two things I can’t make.
John has tried to show me how to make rice on the stove top numerous times. Each time, something goes terribly wrong.
Either I don’t add enough liquid, and the rice ends up under-cooked and crunchy. Or worse, there’s too much liquid, and it turns out mushy while sitting in a layer of starchy water.
How to Make Instant Pot White Rice:
This recipe only has three ingredients (four if you count the water) and literally takes minutes to throw together.
If you struggle with making brown rice, give it a try. I think it will work for you. If you’re looking for a Instant Pot brown rice, we have that too!
All you need is 1 cup of rice, 1 1/4 cups of water, a little oil olive, and salt to season. Be sure to give the rice a good rinse before you get started.
Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot, and give them a quick stir.
Next, close the lid, and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” We have an Instant Pot Duo Plus 60. Our model has the “Rice” button and allows a toggle from low to high pressure.
Set the Instant Pot to “Rice” on low pressure. It should automatically set for 12 minutes.
Every Instant Pot takes some time to come to pressure before it actually starts to cook.
This depends on the pot’s contents and whether it is set to low or high pressure. Since every device is different, I don’t add this into the actual cooking time.
After the Instant Pot comes to pressure and the rice cooks for 12 minutes, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before opening the valve.
Once all the pressure releases (through natural release and opening the valve), remove the lid. Use a fork to fluff the rice. It should be al dente or firm when bitten.
Use this rice as a side dish for your favorite recipes. We love using it in a stir fry or burritos!
Tips on Making the Perfect Instant Pot White Rice:
- Rinse the rice thoroughly beforehand. I like to use a mesh strainer, and rinse the rice with cold water for several minutes. This removes all the outer starch and keeps the rice from becoming gummy and clumpy while it cooks.
- To make sure the rice is rinsed well, pour it into a glass bowl and add water. If the water is cloudy, the rice needs to be rinsed again.
- Many recipes work best if you don’t stir the ingredients in the Instant Pot. This recipe is different. I’ve tried it without stirring, and it didn’t work well. Give the rice a quick stir to make sure it’s submerged in the water before cooking.
Join our Facebook group for more recipes from Berly’s Kitchen, our new site More Than Meat and Potatoes, and some of our blogger friends!
- 1 Cup Long-Grain White Rice, (well rinsed; see tips in post)
- 1 1/4 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Rinse rice well using a mesh strainer until water runs clear.
- Add rice, water, olive oil, and salt to Instant Pot. Stir so that water covers rice.
- Close lid, making sure valve is set to "sealing." Set to "Rice" on low pressure for 12 minutes.
- Allow a natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Open the valve to release remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice and serve.
"Come to Pressure" time varies by machine. This time is approximate.
We use a 6-quart Instant Pot and have NOT tested this recipe with any other size Instant Pot.
Please see tips in the post for best practices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (4-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe ),Clear
Smithcraft Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set 18/8(304) Steel Material Heavy Duty 8 Measuring Cups and 1 Ring Set of 9
Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 15 One-Touch Programs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 0.5 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 3g