Tequila Lemonade brings your outdoor parties and summer BBQs to life! Enjoy a cool and refreshing drink that combines tequila with freshly squeezed lemonade. Made from just five simple ingredients, this grown-up version of everyone's favorite Summer beverage is the perfect addition to any party.
Best Lemonade Tequila Cocktail
There's something special about homemade lemonade made with fresh lemon juice and simple syrup that makes it so much better than anything you can buy in a store. It has just right amount of tart lemon flavor and the perfect amount of sweetness.
The only way I can think to improve upon homemade lemonade is to add some blanco tequila and triple sec and make it hard lemonade. If you've never had hard lemonade, it's a cocktail that combines the sweetness of lemonade with the boldness of alcohol, typically in the form of tequila, vodka or whiskey.
It's a popular drink during the summer season, perfect for sipping on a hot afternoon while relaxing in the backyard or cooling off by the beach. We love to have a glass while enjoying shrimp tacos or beer battered cod.
Hard lemonade comes in various forms, from pre-mixed bottled drinks to homemade varieties made with simple ingredients like lemon juice and sugar. We opt for the homemade variety because it's so easy to customize and only uses 5 simple ingredients!
Ingredients You'll Need for Tequila Lemonade:
- Water: You'll need 4 cups of water divided between the lemonade and the simple syrup.
- Granulated Sugar: We use 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar mixed with some of the water to make the simple syrup.
- Lemon Juice: You'll need 1 ½ cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice to give this tequila cocktail is signature lemon flavor.
- Blanco Tequila: We like blanco tequila in this lemonade cocktail. It has a smooth flavor and is clear in color. You'll need 1 ½ cups.
- Triple Sec: This is a sweet, orange-flavored clear liqueur that adds another layer of citrus flavor to this lemonade. You'll need ½ cup.
- Ice: Don't forget plenty of ice for the drink pitcher and individual serving glasses.
How to Make Our Lemonade Tequila Cocktail:
Scroll to the recipe card below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
The prep time involved in this cocktail recipe only takes about 10 to 15 minutes. The longest part of the recipe is waiting for the simple syrup to cool (see my tip below for a fast way to cool it!).
- Place some of water and the granulated sugar into a small saucepan. Stir occasionally, and heat over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let the simple syrup cool completely. While it cools, juice the lemons.
- Place ice into a large drink picture, and pour in the remaining water, simple syrup, lemon juice, blanco tequila, and triple sec. Stir to combine.
- Pour into individual glasses and garnish with lemon wheels, fresh mint sprigs, or citrus wedges. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- Cool the simple syrup! You may be tempted to quickly pour all the ingredients into a pitcher, but it's important to cool the simple syrup. Otherwise, you'll have hot liquid melting all the ice.
- Cool the simple syrup in 10 minutes by filling a shallow bowl or dish with ice cubes and placing the pan of simple syrup directly into the ice. The ice cools the pan which in turn cools the syrup.
- Swap regular lemons for meyer lemons and make a less tart orange-lemon drink. Or, use lime juice and make a limeade cocktail!
- We think blanco tequila is the best tequila for this lemonade cocktail. But, gold tequila works great, too. It changes the color of lemonade slightly and will have a bit of a different flavor.
Refrigerator: After this drink is poured over ice, enjoy immediately!
Make Ahead: The individual components may be prepared ahead of time and stored separately in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Make sure to store the lemon juice in a glass or plastic (non-reactive) container; otherwise, it may have a metallic taste.
Does tequila lemonade taste like a margarita?
No, tequila lemonade does not taste like a margarita, but they do have similar ingredients. Although they both contain tequila, the two drinks have different flavor profiles due to the addition of other ingredients.
Margaritas are typically made with lime juice and triple sec and are often served with salt on the rim of the glass, which adds an extra layer of flavor. Tequila lemonade is made with freshly squeezed lemon juice and sugar, creating a sweeter drink than a traditional margarita.
What alcohol can you use in place of tequila?
You can use vodka in place of tequila. Vodka is a neutral-tasting spirit and will not change the flavor of the drink too drastically. Rum, gin, and bourbon make good substitutes depending on your preference.
However, keep in mind that these spirits have stronger flavors than vodka, so you may want to adjust the proportions of ingredients accordingly.
Recipe Card with Ingredient Amounts and Instructions
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 7-8 large lemons
- 1 ½ cups blanco tequila
- ½ cup triple sec, optional
- Ice, for the pitcher and individual glasses
- Place 1 ½ cups of water and the granulated sugar into a small saucepan. Stir occasionally, and heat over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves.1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- Remove from heat and let the simple syrup cool completely.
- Place ice into a large drink picture, and pour in the remaining 2 ½ cups of water, simple syrup, lemon juice, tequila, and triple sec. Stir to combine and serve over ice.1 ½ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice1 ½ cups blanco tequila½ cup triple sec
- Scroll up and see the post for tips, FAQs, and storage recommendations.