Hearty, savory, and oh-so simple, this Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup will fill you up for the upcoming fall season. Filled with smoked sausage, three types of beans, loaded with vegetables and spices, all dumped into a crockpot that you can set and forget. Weeknight dinner couldn’t get easier!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup
Soup season is almost here! Can you feel it? Now that school has started, we can almost feel the weather shifting. As summer leads into fall, it’s time to stock up on all your favorite filling soup recipes!
This one is a favorite and by making it in the Crock Pot, it’s such a simple fix you’ll be turning to this recipe time and time again. Serve it with a side of homemade cornbread and you’ve got comfort food for days.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup
- Prep your vegetables, then place the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, smoked sausage, beans, herbs and seasonings, olive oil, chicken (or vegetable) stock, and garlic into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours. Your house will smell incredible!
- Make sure to stir your sausage and bean soup occasionally.
- Once the cooking time is up, sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving. We suggest a side of homemade jalapeno cornbread or even a side of pan fried gnocchi to complete your meal. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Add in kale or spinach for some green additions.
- Rice or pasta make great additions as well and make this soup even heartier!
- If you’d like more protein, you can include chicken or shrimp.
- A dash of cajun seasonings instead of Italian seasonings give the sausage and bean soup a mouthwatering flavor pallet and will punch up the heat!
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store this soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 4 to 5 days!
Freezer: You can freeze this soup! This Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 whole months!
Reheating: Reheat soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through. If frozen, thaw soup prior to reheating.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can small red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces sausage sliced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
- Place all the ingredients except parsley into the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serve hot with fresh parsley, and a side of cornbread or garlic bread.