Hearty, savory, and oh-so simple, this Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup will fill you up for the upcoming fall season. Filled with smoked sausage, three types of beans, loaded with vegetables and spices, all dumped into a crockpot that you can set and forget. Weeknight dinner couldn’t get easier!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup
Soup season is almost here! Can you feel it? Now that school has started, we can almost feel the weather shifting. As summer leads into fall, it’s time to stock up on all your favorite filling soup recipes!
This one is a favorite and by making it in the Crock Pot, it’s such a simple fix you’ll be turning to this recipe time and time again. Serve it with a side of homemade cornbread and you’ve got comfort food for days.
- Onion: White or yellow, whichever you prefer.
- Carrots: Slice or chop however you’d like. For a heartier soup, slice in thicker chunks.
- Celery: We love the flavor celery gives to soups like this.
- Bell Pepper: We like to use red bell peppers for this recipe, but any will work!
- Olive Oil: Has a mild flavor and pairs perfectly with the other flavors!
- Smoked Sausage: Use your favorite. Try andouille sausage for a little spice!
- Beans: Great Northern, cannelloni, and red kidney are the three we suggest. Make sure to drain and rinse the canned beans.
- Herbs: Basil, thyme, and parsley. You can use dried or fresh versions of these herbs.
- Garlic: Use pre minced or fresh. We like fresh for the best flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: This blend adds even more flavor to the soup.
- Bay leaves: Fresh is best here.
- Paprika: Use smoked paprika for even more smokey flavor to compliment the sausage.
- Chicken stock: Vegetable broth can be substituted if preferred.
- Salt and Pepper: Enough to taste.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup
- Prep your vegetables, then place the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, smoked sausage, beans, herbs and seasonings, olive oil, chicken (or vegetable) stock, and garlic into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours. Your house will smell incredible!
- Make sure to stir your sausage and bean soup occasionally.
- Once the cooking time is up, sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving. We suggest a side of homemade jalapeno cornbread or even a side of pan fried gnocchi to complete your meal. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Add in kale or spinach for some green additions.
- Rice or pasta make great additions as well and make this soup even heartier!
- If you’d like more protein, you can include chicken or shrimp.
- A dash of cajun seasonings instead of Italian seasonings give the sausage and bean soup a mouthwatering flavor pallet and will punch up the heat!
Storage and Reheating
Refrigerator: Store this soup in an airtight container in your refrigerator for 4 to 5 days!
Freezer: You can freeze this soup! This Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Soup will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 whole months!
Reheating: Reheat soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through. If frozen, thaw soup prior to reheating.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can small red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces sausage, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
- Place all the ingredients except parsley into the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serve hot with fresh parsley, and a side of cornbread or garlic bread.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 ½ cups of soup. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 651mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.