A quick and easy homemade fresh apple cake that’s moist, sweet, and delicious! Top it with whipped cream or homemade frosting.
Fresh apple cake is one of our favorite recipes to make each Fall. Not only is it easy, but it’s full of all our favorite warm Fall flavors. We love to make it along with our Pumpkin Roll, Pumpkin Cake, and Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls.
Fresh Apple Cake Recipe:
This apple cake has been in my family as long as I can remember. My grandmother used to pick little green apples off the tree in her backyard and use them in the cake. She’d even make extra and freeze it for when family came to visit over the holidays.
This cake is very easy to make. It’s sweet, perfectly spiced, and has just the right amount of fresh apple pieces. The batter is quite thick, so it’s not like making a traditional cake. You’ll want to grab a sturdy spoon for this recipe.
How to Make Fresh Apple Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and grease a 9×13-inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, oil, and eggs.
- Next, use a sturdy spoon to mix in the all-purpose flour, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Fold in the peeled and diced apples.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- The batter will be extremely thick. One time, Kim actually broke a rubber spatula trying to stir it. So, I definitely recommend a heavy duty wooden spoon.
- I do NOT recommend using apple pie filling for this recipe. It will add too much moisture to the batter and create a gummy cake.
- Honestly, the cake is sweet enough to enjoy without any sort of frosting. However, if you feel inclined to create one, consider a using a maple whipped cream. It’s a Fall flavor that works perfectly with apples.
Room Temperature: Fresh apple cake stores well at room temperature for about 3 days.
Refrigerator: This cake will stay fresh in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
Freezer: Apple cake freezes nicely. Wrap it tightly in a layer of plastic wrap covered by another layer of aluminum foil. The cake will stay fresh in the freezer for about 2 months.
Thawing and Reheating: Place the frozen cake in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. To reheat, place a slice of cake in the microwave for a few seconds until warm and soft.
Do you peel apples for apple cake?
What are the best kind of apples to use in apple cake?
Is there a frosting for fresh apple cake?
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 ¼ Cups Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 Cups Fresh Apples, peeled, cored, and diced into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, and eggs.
- Add the flour, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Use a sturdy spoon or spatula to stir. The batter will be very thick like a paste.
- Fold in the apples, and press the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool until just barely warm. Serve with plain or with vanilla ice cream.
- See post for storage options.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of 1 piece of cake. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information, tips, and answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.