Instant Pot Salsa Chicken – A no-fuss way to make flavorful shredded chicken in your pressure cooker. It’s perfect for burritos, tacos, and all kinds of Tex-Mex favorites!
Who doesn’t enjoy an amazing Tex-Mex dish? Well, I’m sure there are some people who don’t like it. To each their own, I say.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is a quick and easy way to add tons of flavor to chicken. It’s perfect if you need pre-cooked, shredded chicken for dish, because this recipe will have it ready in no time. So, shall we get started on this, “dump and go,” recipe?
How to Make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken:
First, dice the onions and prep the chicken. If you didn’t buy tenders or thin cutlets, you might need to cut the poultry into small pieces.
Next, place the ingredients into the liner of the pressure cooker in the following order; chicken, broth, taco seasonings, onions, and salsa.
Now, it’s important that you place the ingredients into the machine in the order we described. Otherwise, you may get a burn notice.
Afterward, close the lid and set the valve to, “sealed.” Press the manual or high pressure cook button. Set it to cook for eight (8) minutes.
Then, when the timer goes off, allow for a ten (10) minute(s) natural release before opening the valve.
Use two (2) forks or some tongs to carefully shred the hot chicken. That’s it, your pressure cooker Mexican chicken recipe is done!
Kim and I hope you enjoy the Tex-Mex chicken and wish you all the best 🙂
How do you moisten dry and shredded chicken?
In our house, we usually store the chicken in chicken broth. For example, leftovers would be placed into a sealed container.
After that, we would add enough chicken broth to the container to cover the shredded chicken. That way, as it sat in the fridge, it would soak up the broth.
Can you freeze shredded chicken?
Absolutely! Simply, wait for it to cool then place it into a freezer bag. Press out all the air before sealing and labeling it.
The chicken should hold for at least two (2) weeks in your freezer.
Instant Pot Salsa ChickenPrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- 1 Lb. Chicken (boneless, skinless, tenders or thin cutlets)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- [1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning]
- 1 Cup White Onion (diced)
- 1 Cup Salsa (we used mild red salsa)
- Layer the ingredients in the liner in this order. Place the chicken tenders first, followed by the broth, then the taco seasoning. Add the onion next, and put the salsa on top.
- Close the lid, and ensure the valve is set to sealing. Press the manual (pressure cook) button, and adjust the time to 8 minutes. After the time is up, allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the valve to release any remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid.
- Either remove the chicken to and return to the liner, or use two forks to shred the chicken inside the liner. Use as filling for burritos, tacos, nachos, burrito bowls, tostados, or any of your favorite Tex-Mex dishes.