Create your own delicious Southwest chicken salad at home with our simple step-by-step recipe. Enjoy a spicy salad loaded with seasoned chicken and fresh veggies!
Usually, I tend to enjoy salads a lot more during the Spring and Summer months. However, a good salad is perfect anytime of the year.
Speaking of delicious salads, for today’s post we’re sharing our Southwest chicken salad.
How to make a Southwest chicken salad?
First, start by heating a large skillet over medium heat. While the pan warms up, rinse and dry the chicken breasts.
Next, sprinkle the fajita seasoning over the breasts. Once the pan is warm, drizzle in the oil. After that, carefully lay the breasts into the pan.
I recommend using tongs to handle this step.
Then, let the chicken cook for at least six (6) minutes in each side. You’ll know the chicken is done once the juices run clear.
Still, I would use a meat thermometer in thickest part of the meat to ensure the breasts are done. Now, while the chicken cooks, prep all your vegetables for the salad.
Chop the lettuce, dice the onion, cut the avocado, rinse and drain the beans and corn. You get the idea. Place the ingredients into a large bowl.
There should be plenty of time to do all of this because even when the meat is done cooking, it will need to rest for about ten (10) minutes before you chop it.
Afterward, place everything, except the dressing, into a large mixing bowl. Wash the tongs and use them to toss the salad.
Last, drizzle the Southwest dressing over the salad and serve.
That’s it, your Southwest chicken salad recipe is done! Kim and I hope you enjoy the meal and we wish you all the best 🙂
- The thinner the chicken breast is cut, the faster it will cook. For example, if you use thin sliced cutlets, you would need to reduce the cook time for the chicken breast.
- If you’re not going to serve the whole salad right away, then hold off on adding the dressing. Otherwise, storing the chicken salad with the Southwest dressing added will cause the lettuce to wilt and become soggy in less than twenty-four (24) hours.
- Feel free to change the salad dressing to any type you enjoy. Perhaps, you prefer spicy Ranch to Southwest varieties. Go for it! It’s your salad, after all.
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil, (canola, olive, vegetable, etc.)
- 1 Lb. Chicken Breasts, (boneless, skinless)
- 1 Tablespoon Fajita Seasoning, (or taco seasoning)
- 3 Cups Romaine Lettuce, (or iceberg, or lettuce of your choice)
- 1 Large Avocado, (diced)
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, (halved or quartered)
- 1/2 Cup Black Beans, (canned, rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 Cup Corn, (canned, rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 Cup Bell Pepper, (green or red, diced)
- 1/4 Cup Purple Onion, (peeled, diced)
- 1/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese, (shredded, optional ingredient)
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup Southwest Dressing, (store bought or click the link for our recipe)
- Heat a medium skillet over low-medium heat. While the skillet heats, season the chicken breasts with your choice of fajita or taco seasoning. Add the cooking oil to the hot skillet, then add the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for 6 to 7 minutes per side or until the juices run clear, and it’s cooked completely with no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pan, and allow it to rest on a cutting board for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
- While the chicken rests, measure and cut the lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, beans, corn, bell pepper, onion, cheese, and lime juice,and place them in a large bowl. Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and toss it with the other ingredients.
- Drizzle the salad with Southwest Dressing and serve.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients and a serving size of about one and a half (1 1/2) cups of the Southwest chicken salad. Actual calories will vary. The salad can be stored in a sealed container, in your fridge, for up to three (3) days.
**If you aren’t serving the entire salad at once, don’t dress the entire salad. Use the dressing in single servings to keep the salad from getting soggy.**
*We've partnered with Farmbox Direct, a fresh produce delivery service, to bring fresh and organic fruits and veggies right to your door. Receive 10% off your first order when you use code BERLYS10 at checkout!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1.5 Cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g