‘Tis the season of one of our favorite cocktails ever, the Cranberry Margarita! Cranberry juice, lime juice, tequila and triple sec mix together to create a tangy cocktail that’ll have you decking the halls before November’s even over. It’s never too early for a festive cocktail, right?!
When we’re not sipping on Cranberry Margaritas around the Christmas tree, it’s only because we’ve opted for some sweet eggnog flavor instead! Enjoy a glass of our favorite Eggnog Martini next time you’re feeling jolly.
Cranberry Margarita Recipe
Rockin’ around the Christmas tree… Having another sip of ice cold Cranberry Margarita! Is it a little too early to start turning on Hallmark Christmas movies? Maybe. But that won’t stop us from enjoying the sweet, tangy, and fruity flavors of this classic cocktail.
Cranberry Margaritas are actually one of our favorite drinks to enjoy when winding down on Thanksgiving night. That’s the night that fall officially transforms into Christmas, so why not kick start it with one of our absolute favorite drinks?!
How to Make a Cranberry Margarita
You only need 4 ingredients to create this festive libation!
- Combine all of the measured ingredients in a pitcher.
- Rim the glasses with lime wedges and coarse salt.
- Fill each glass with ice.
- Pour the cocktail evenly into each glass, and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- For the BEST flavor, use freshly squeezed lime juice! Concentrated lime juice (or the kind that comes in a little plastic bottle from the store) just doesn’t deliver the same fresh flavor we’re aiming for.
- Our cranberry margarita is a bit on the tart side. Feel free to add some simple syrup to sweeten it up to your liking if desired. We even have a cranberry simple syrup if you want to amp up the cranberry flavor.
- Don’t have a fancy cocktail spoon to stir your drink in the pitcher? No worries – a whisk works just fine!
- Don’t skip out on the triple sec. Triple sec is needed to make any margarita legit.
- If you can’t find fresh cranberries, no worries! While they add a nice pop of color to the margaritas, they’re only used for garnish.
- Use cranberry juice that’s 100% juice for a less sweet margarita and a cranberry juice blend/cocktail for a slightly sweeter drink.
Storage: Feel free to prepare a pitcher and keep it in the fridge ahead of time. It’ll stay good for just a few hours, so it’s great for preparing right before your guests arrive. Just make sure you wait until serving time to add the ice.
What kind of alcohol is used to make a margarita?
Usually, the alcohol used in margaritas are both tequila and triple sec. Cointreau can be used in place of triple sec, but it’s more expensive.
What’s the best tequila for a cranberry margarita?
Any mid-shelf blanco tequila works well for this festive cocktail. Make sure that it’s made with 100% agave, so you’re getting the real deal. Other than than, choose your favorite brand that’s not overly expensive.
Try to steer clear of the super inexpensive bottom shelf brands. These can affect the flavor and quality of the margaritas.
What’s better in a Cranberry Margarita – triple sec or cointreau?
That depends on two factors – your personal tastes and your wallet! If you enjoy smoother cocktails, then make it with Cointreau. With that being said, if you’re like me and enjoy a drink with a bite, then use the triple sec. Besides, triple sec is usually the more cost-effective choice!
What are some of garnishes for this margarita?
We like to use coarse salt around the edge of the glass. Sometimes you’ll find margarita salt in the liquor store. If not, coarse sea salt or kosher salt works well.
Lime slices, lime wedges, fresh cranberries, ice cubes, rosemary sprigs, and even sugared rosemary all work nicely as garnishes.
More Cranberry Cocktail Recipes:
Cranberry MargaritaPrint Save Saved! Pin
I earn a commission from Amazon and Instacart from qualifying purchases.
For the Drink:
- 16 ounces cranberry juice 100% juice
- 8 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice freshly squeezed
- 8 ounces blanco tequila
- 4 ounces triple sec
- 2 ounces simple syrup or more to taste (for sweetness)
- Lime slices and wedges
- Coarse salt for the glass rim
- Fresh cranberries
- In a large pitcher, combine the cranberry juice, lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and simple syrup (if using).16 ounces cranberry juice8 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice8 ounces blanco tequila4 ounces triple sec2 ounces simple syrup
- Run lime wedges around the rims of four glasses, then dip the rims into coarse salt. Fill the glasses with ice, and pour the margaritas equally into each glass.
- Garnish with lime slices and fresh cranberries. Enjoy chilled.