Our Bourbon Smash combines bourbon, fresh mint, and lemon juice to create a delicious cocktail that’s perfect for your next dinner party!
Classic cocktail recipes are some of our favorite things to make. Whether it’s bourbon, rum, gin or vodka, a great homemade cocktail only takes minutes to prepare. Rum Mixed Drinks, Coconut Mojitos, a Whiskey Sour, Strawberry Mimosas, and Hot Buttered Rum are some of the varieties that we enjoy most.
How to Make a Bourbon Smash:
- Add the simple syrup, fresh mint, and lemon wedges to a drink shaker.
- Next, use a muddler (or wooden spoon) to crush the lemon and mint.
- Then, pour in the bourbon and add the ice. Place the lid on the shaker and mix everything for 5-7 seconds.
- Afterward, add more ice to a 6-8 ounce glass.
- Lastly, strain and pour the drink into the glass.
- Serve with fresh mint as a garnish. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations:
- When making cocktails, use the best spirits you can afford. We use middle shelf range.
- Fresh mint is the best option for a bourbon smash. Extracts and oils don’t provide the best flavor.
- Use a large glass jar and lid or stir the cocktail to mix everything together if you don’t have a cocktail shaker. You’ll still need to muddle the lemon and mint. But, a shaker cup isn’t a necessary tool.
- There are several different flavor options for a bourbon smash. You can easily swap out the simple syrup for a flavored simple syrup. Another option is to muddle the fruit and swap out the simple syrup. Some alternate flavor options are:
- To make this cocktail without mint, simply omit it. Optionally, substitute the mint with fresh basil for a different flavor combination.
Storage: This bourbon smash is best enjoyed immediately and storage is not recommended.
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 8 fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- Half a large lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Place simple syrup, mint leaves, and lemon wedges in a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler to crush the lemon wedges and bruise the mint leaves.
- Add the bourbon and ice. Shake until cold.
- Strain over an ice filled glass, and garnish with additional mint leaves. Serve immediately.
*The calories listed are an approximation based on the ingredients in the recipe card and a serving size of one (4-ounce) bourbon smash. Actual calories will vary.
*For more information and tips, please refer to the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:4 Ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 29mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 7gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g
*The calories are an estimate and are based on the ingredients and serving size listed. The calories can vary depending on the brand of product purchased.